none
Why is Microsoft FORCING this Unwanted Microsoft Edge? It Sucks and is Below Them!! RRS feed

• Question

• The title says it all. I've about had all I can of Cortana and Microsoft Edge. I won't go into details as to why, you can read the complaints, I share most of them. Do they plan to continue pushing this albatross until customers leave?
    Wednesday, April 18, 2018 2:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• The title says it all. I've about had all I can of Cortana and Microsoft Edge. I won't go into details as to why, you can read the complaints, I share most of them. Do they plan to continue pushing this albatross until customers leave?

Nobody is forcing you to use Edge. Edge is installed by default, as IE used to be, but you can still elect to use IE or any other browser you like. And you can still set this other browser as your default browser as you could before.

Bill

Wednesday, April 18, 2018 11:26 PM
  • Microsoft’s justification for the change is that Edge is the best, most secure browser on Windows 10.

You may try using IE, Chrome or Firefox. That's what I do.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Wednesday, April 18, 2018 11:44 PM
  • Yes, you can change your default browser to another browser:

Settings -> Apps -> Default apps

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 19, 2018 3:16 AM
  • Too much ranting for something you can easily ignore. Every OS comes with a default browser, every OS allows you to change the default. Cortana can be hidden and ignored also, and so I see no real restrictions being placed on the user with Edge or any other Microsoft application. Actually Edge isn't that bad but clearly its not very popular. I use Chrome and have for a few years now, and rely on Safari on my IOS devices. I don't ever foresee users leaving in droves from Windows because of Edge or Cortana. At least not when you can ignore them and choose other defaults and options. I've heard to rumors milling about Mail app opening links in Edge which has gotten some users upset in the beta group. I don't use Mail so I cannot speak to this specifically but yes this type of behavior by Microsoft is a bit bothersome but it has yet to reach a public release. If you are really bothered by the things Microsoft does with Windows 10 I personally see little reason for many to stick with Windows. You have plenty of options and for many moving beyond Windows is doable. If I had to use Edge I would be annoyed but not enough to move to another OS. But having used Chromebooks and used Mac's and occasionally Linux desktop OS I could myself probably adapt to one of those over Windows if a time came when it really became clear it wasn't for me. 

John Scott

Thursday, April 19, 2018 9:51 PM
  • Yes we could but Chrome and Firefox have security holes and while Firefox is better than Chrome, they both pretty much suck. When IE goes we'll have nothing and Edge SUCKS! I may have to pull my old browser source code and brush it up. :( I'm too old for this shit!
    Thursday, March 21, 2019 11:59 AM
  • IE is trash... edge is trash... Chrome is full of memory leaks... even Opera jumped the shark.

What is the deal with these browser folks? Are they where companies send their Wally developer in the hopes that they'll quit?

Friday, July 12, 2019 4:51 PM
  • Dear Karen.

Your suggestion used to be enough to select the apps I want to use but... no longer.  since last week Microsoft has started to change the apps I use for PDF reading and Internet surfing to Edge.  I have tried the usual, as you suggested, but it keeps undoing my selections.  Very very annoying and what I think about that is not suitable for saying aloud or typing.  I will keep on searching for some good advice on how to exterminate this annoyance.

Regards,

Monday, August 19, 2019 6:08 PM