Can I recover a chart from corrupt Word 2007 document? RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 7 Pro, Office 2007 Basic: Word

Cannot open a file I had been working in. I may have caused the problem. I don't know. I created a chart and was working on it between Word and Excel updating the table often in Excel though I'd save in Word, but sometimes realized on auto-pilot had also pressed saved in Excel. I noticed that when saving I started seeing messages that too many changes had occured and not all would be saved, or something to that effect. I pressed save again, closed it and reopened to my surprise.

"The file xxxx cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents." (1st error message)

I recovered the text by opening in Word Pad but I spent a lot of time on that chart and if I can recover it ... IF! ... I'd sure appreciate some help.

In reviewing "Related Topics" I tried solution under "The file is corrupt and cannot be opened (but can be opened elsewhere ...." Well the drag and drop into an open Word doc didn't work, and I got a 2nd Error message that I can't seem to make repeat after trying to follow directions under "Can not open Word or Excel attacments ...", a suggestion I had found in 1st link. I did not quite find Hans Kristiansen's (Partner)  suggestion, but that lead me to "Word Options" > "Trust Center" > "Trust Center Settings" > "Trusted Locations" -- and there I added my file's folder location as trusted. After that, the 2nd error message did not return, but the drag and drop still did not work.

As I said before, I likely did something wrong in creating that chart and it looked fine and updated fine in Excel and in Word as I made my changes, even to the very end. But once I closed Word, everything corrupted. If any "whiz kid" can help me get that chart back, I'd appreciate it. Meanwhile, I'm starting from scratch again -- don't you worry -- but it would be a great learning curve to discover how to recover or what exactly I did wrong.

Much thanks.

Newbie enough to get myself into trouble. :0)

• Edited by GeneralB Sunday, August 26, 2012 12:15 AM added detail
    Sunday, August 26, 2012 12:09 AM

Answers

• Hi,

[Windows 7 Pro, Office 2007 Basic: Word] "The file xxxx cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents." (1st error message)

1st attempt: Office Button | Open | Open and Repair ...

2nd attempt: Copy your file. Add the extension .zip (YourCopy.docx.zip). Open the zip-container.
    In the folder "embeddings" you will find the Excel sheet. So you can use the data for a new chart.

3rd attempt: Open the document using Open Office, which is sometimes more fault-tolerant.

Whenever you are creating/editing a complex document: Save frequent backups/different versions of the document.

Cheers
    Lisa [MS MVP Word]

Sunday, August 26, 2012 6:38 AM

All replies

• Hi,

[Windows 7 Pro, Office 2007 Basic: Word] "The file xxxx cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents." (1st error message)

1st attempt: Office Button | Open | Open and Repair ...

2nd attempt: Copy your file. Add the extension .zip (YourCopy.docx.zip). Open the zip-container.
    In the folder "embeddings" you will find the Excel sheet. So you can use the data for a new chart.

3rd attempt: Open the document using Open Office, which is sometimes more fault-tolerant.

Whenever you are creating/editing a complex document: Save frequent backups/different versions of the document.

Cheers
    Lisa [MS MVP Word]

Sunday, August 26, 2012 6:38 AM
  • check this link this may help yo u o ut

http://www.anysoftwaretools.com/how-to/recover-deleted-word.html

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 6:57 AM
  • As mentioned by Lisa..

1st attempt: Office Button | Open | Open and Repair... repairs corrupt docx file. If all attempts fail then you can suggest a tool to repair docx file.

Read my blog (Blog)
    Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you

• Edited by Markwillium Wednesday, September 5, 2012 10:42 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Markwillium Wednesday, September 5, 2012 11:16 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by David Wolters Wednesday, September 5, 2012 2:54 PM
    Wednesday, September 5, 2012 10:41 AM
  • Use Recoveryfix for Word software, this tool really a nice got my all word document data back. Good thing is that company offering a free trial version of software. If your data did not recover till now, you can use this utility.

Thanks

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 10:31 AM
  • Looking through my Dashboard. If I failed to say thank you for your assist ... THANK YOU FOR YOUR ASSIST, Lisa. :)

Newbie enough to get myself into trouble. :0)

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 6:58 AM