CD DVD Burner not recognized in Vista but are in bios RRS feed

• Question

• I have Vista Ultimate.  Suddenly, my dvd and cd burners are not recognized upon windows boot up, however, they are recognized when bios loads.  They are not visible in device manager nor in my computer. 

Can someone assist...

Thanks a million!

Friday, November 23, 2007 8:02 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Thanks for your post!

There are many possibilities that may lead to the problem you described. Please try steps below to narrow down the problem’s scope:

1.    Download the latest driver of CD/DVD drive for Windows Vista from the manufacturer’s website and then install it.

2.    Sometimes, CD/DVD drive may be affected by some 3rd party applications or services. Please refer to following KB article to clean boot the system for troubleshooting.

(KB929135) How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;929135

If the problem still persists, please let me know:

1.   The model of the device.

2.    If it once worked correctly, did you make any change (new installed applications or devices) into your computer before the problem occurred?

Thanks!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, November 26, 2007 10:50 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Thanks for your post!

There are many possibilities that may lead to the problem you described. Please try steps below to narrow down the problem’s scope:

1.    Download the latest driver of CD/DVD drive for Windows Vista from the manufacturer’s website and then install it.

2.    Sometimes, CD/DVD drive may be affected by some 3rd party applications or services. Please refer to following KB article to clean boot the system for troubleshooting.

(KB929135) How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;929135

If the problem still persists, please let me know:

1.   The model of the device.

2.    If it once worked correctly, did you make any change (new installed applications or devices) into your computer before the problem occurred?

Thanks!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Monday, November 26, 2007 10:50 AM
  • Hello,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Monday, December 3, 2007 10:39 AM
  • Hi Lionel

I have just come across this thread and I have a similar problem.

I have just purchased a new Dell laptop with Vista and Windows DVD maker does not recognize the DVD burner drive.  I have downloaded and applied all the latest updates for Vista as well as applying the latest drivers from Dell for the DVD burner.

Do you have any other advice on what I else I can check to fix this problem?

Thanks

Thong

Monday, August 18, 2008 3:12 AM