Change permission on pst file RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, We are using an exchange 2003 SP2 in our company and clicnts are on Outlook 2003 or 2007. We recently had to remove one of the email id's and replace it with a separate one. We have the backup of the old mailbox on the server in a pst file. The issue is the users pc which had that old mailbox had to be re-loaded and the pst is gone from that pc. Now if I try to send the pst file from the backup kept, it gives an access denied error and the user cannot open the pst in thier pc. The userid for that user has been changed however I thought that if I could open the pst at my pc then it should open in their's also, however that didn't happen. Kindly help how can we change the permissions so that the user can open the pst and check their old mails?

Thanks & Regards,

Amit Bhhattacharjee

Thursday, August 5, 2010 6:09 AM

Answers

• Hi,

This can happen if the mail file is on another machine on your network. If this is the case then try copying it to your local C drive and opening it from there.

Also you mayt try running the Inbox Repair Tool here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/272227).
    To run the Inbox Repair Tool, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, and then point to Find or to Search, depending upon your operating system.
    2. In the Search for files or folders named box, type scanpst.exe
    3. Double click the Scanpst.exe file to open the Inbox Repair Tool.
    4. Type the path and the file name of the personal folders (.pst) file or click Browse to locate the file by using the Windows file system.
    5. Click Start.

For information about How to manage a .pst file for two different computers in Outlook, please refer to this article:
    • Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Friday, August 13, 2010 8:16 AM
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 8:11 AM