Vista SP1: Windows Mail & Gmail Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have been using Windows Mail for quite a while, with my two Gmail accounts. I've had an issue for about the same amount of time that I've been dealing with.

The issue is that often times, I will receive e-mails and when I click on them, it just says

Message is no longer available on the server

Windows Mail is unable to retrieve the requested message because the server no longer has the message available.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    News servers regularly expire articles as they get older to make space available for newer articles.
    IMAP servers can be accessed by multiple e-mail programs at the same time. If you are using two programs to access your mail the list of messages maybe out of date. Use the refresh command to update this list.

Windows Mail

Any ideas why this is happening? I can go under the Gmail --> All Mail folder and see the message just fine. Only some of them do this ... most of them show up fine under the Inbox folder.

Thanks
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 1:03 AM

All replies

• Have you logged on to the Gmail web site and checked if the message is there?

I am not sure how windows mail works but some email programmes download your email for you to your pc and the server will delete the message from the server automatically (which I think Gmail does (not sure but I recall doing that with Mozilla Thunderbird)).

Sunday, November 16, 2008 4:18 PM
  • Yeah, the e-mails are all still there. Are you sure you're not thinking of back when Gmail was POP3 only? I'm using IMAP now that they offer it, so the messages should stay on the server and synchronize locally also. That's why I'm rather perplexed by this issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Trevor
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 7:33 PM
  • Yes I was thinking POP3.

I did just google and found this article http://www.helpdesk.umd.edu/topics/email/os/windows/outlook_express_5/4063/

Relates to Outlook 5/6 but Windows Mail etc all are re-inventions of the old outlook technologies so worth trying something like.

I dont really know the solution - I do try to avoid Windows Mail - you could try Thunderbird.
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 9:11 PM
  • I actually used to use Thunderbird, but switched to Windows Mail. I had issues with Thunderbird, too. It kept constantly popping up asking for my userID and password, even though I had saved it. I finally got fed up with it and found something else to use.

Oh well ..

I did try resetting the local folder, and I guess we'll see if that clears it up.

Thanks.
    Monday, November 17, 2008 3:57 AM