none
Add cost column RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to use project to keep track of monthly assessments for a residential building project. Project only makes 10 cost columns available. Does anyone know if it is possible to increase the number of cost columns. I see that it is possible to create formulas by using number columns however it is slightly annoying as it does not show the currency.  

I do wish that Microsoft would recognize the requirement to integrate accounts into project.  

Monday, December 8, 2014 7:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Pedro,

Indeed there are just 10 cost custom fields. But note that there are also baseline costs which might help you.

Finally you can indeed create a formula using text field which can display the currency with a formula like this:

[Number1] & " $"

Thus you enter a cost (number) in the number1 field and the text1 field will return the number with the currency.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Monday, December 8, 2014 7:46 PM
  • Hi Pedro,

As you have seen, there are 10 cost columns, and it is not possible to increase this number.  Using a combination of number fields (20) and text fields (30) you may be able to display the currency in a text field.  However, the number field does not include a decimal point and so this might be limiting for you.

Project is primarily a scheduling engine, most users will use Excel for more advanced project accounting.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Monday, December 8, 2014 7:53 PM
  • Pedro,

I am not sure, from your description, of exactly what you are trying to achieve and how you are going about it.

However, I have worked on project planning and tracking for many, many construction projects and never have a need to use all of the spare cost fields in order to deal with progress, progress claims and progress payments. I also don't have to resort to spreadsheets. Generally, it can all be done in MSP.

I think that you can achieve what you need by taking a slightly different but more feasible approach.

I think that perhaps you are saying you need as many cost columns as there are months in the project, so that you can have tasks listed in a column and rows as months, and assign a cost for each month to each task. This is similar to the approach often taken when a spreadsheet is used and many columns (256) are available. So, for example, if a project has a duration of 12 months, and a task which takes, say one week and occurs in the first month, might have a cost of $100 in the first column and zeroes in the other 11, Other tasks which have duration spread across several months might have some non zero amounts in some columns and zeroes in the rest. Then you could sum the rows for the sub-totals for each task, and then sum the column of sub-totals for the overall cost as well as sum each column to get totals for each month.

But MSP is obviously not a spreadsheet, and it is a mistake to try to use it as one. You will just hit problem after problem if you try.

You could, however, create recurring milestones representing the monthly costs of other tasks.

It is difficult to give a definitive answer without seeing what you have or providing an example of what I am suggesting.

Please let me know if I have interpreted your question correctly and provide some more information (or send the file)
    Tuesday, December 9, 2014 3:26 AM