MOSS 2007: Rename Content type in production site? RRS feed

• Question

• I have read in some article that "Renaming content types is not recommended". But, what could be the issues and possible solution.

Thanks.

soundar
    Sunday, January 8, 2012 8:23 AM

Answers

• Basically we're saying not to rename, or for that matter, modify any of the default, out-of-the-box content types that SharePoint comes with. these files belong to Microsoft and as such are subject to any update, patch etc that Microsoft might wish to apply. As was suggested, use these as the basis for any new content types you wish to create and make your changes on the new ones. If you create a Content type of your own, and see a need to change its name, go right ahead. But it is best practice to leave the default types alone.
    Imagine what we could be...If we could just imagine. Daniel A. Galant
    • Marked as answer by Soundar_SP Monday, January 9, 2012 5:01 PM
    Monday, January 9, 2012 4:42 AM

All replies

• hi Soundar

Content types are basis of sharepoint. All the lists are based on content types.It comes under best practices not to rename it but if you rename it then it is not necessary you will get any issue.My suggestion is that if you want to rename it just create a copy of it with new name and hide the old one.

Moreover you can go through the pdf file attached in this blog

http://kjellsj.blogspot.com/2008/11/sharepoint-content-type-guidelines.html

May be the above link helps you

Sunday, January 8, 2012 3:57 PM
  • Hi Agarwal,

Thanks for your reply.

I had already referred this link(even the text in the quotes was copied from the pdf). But, it does not explain about the issues it throws.

soundar
    Sunday, January 8, 2012 5:04 PM
  •  

HI Agarwal

i don't think you will face any specific issue by renaming the content type which you can generalize it  but just it is a best practice.If you see you can rename the content type from the sharepoint UI also so it depends upon you what you follow

Sunday, January 8, 2012 5:42 PM
  • Basically we're saying not to rename, or for that matter, modify any of the default, out-of-the-box content types that SharePoint comes with. these files belong to Microsoft and as such are subject to any update, patch etc that Microsoft might wish to apply. As was suggested, use these as the basis for any new content types you wish to create and make your changes on the new ones. If you create a Content type of your own, and see a need to change its name, go right ahead. But it is best practice to leave the default types alone.
    Imagine what we could be...If we could just imagine. Daniel A. Galant
    • Marked as answer by Soundar_SP Monday, January 9, 2012 5:01 PM
    Monday, January 9, 2012 4:42 AM