none
send email to other user on milestone completion to RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have created project plan and defined milestones, now i want to send email notification to some user when certain milestone is complete, pls guide how can i configure or possible way to achieve this.

Thanks.

iffi

Wednesday, January 8, 2020 8:10 AM

All replies

• iffi --

There is no default method built into Microsoft Project to accomplish what you want the software to do.  This leaves you two options:

• Write some VBA code that will send the e-mail to one or more users when the milestone is completed.
    • Manually send the e-mail message yourself after you mark the milestone as completed.

I personally would choose the second option, as I opt for the "simpler is better" method on a lot of things.  Just a thought.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, January 8, 2020 8:22 PM
  • Hello,

As Dale said, there is no default email notifications for this but you could look to use Power Automate with a Flow that ran on a schedule or Project Published that queried for completed milestones in the _api/ProjectData/Tasks API. Then for each email it sent, track somewhere that the email had been sent for that milestone. It could just be an enterprise task level field "Email Sent?" then your query to check for completed milestones could also include a filter where this new field was set to No etc.

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

Thursday, January 9, 2020 8:17 AM
  • I was using a trial to see if Project Online was worth anything... and it's a convoluted mess like most MS implementations.  

You have the copy of MS Planner for task assignments in all it's Kanban Glory.  It's almost identical except.... Planner has automation of email for due dates and completion.... Project Online does not.... Planner allows the person assigned the task to attach files.... Project does not....

It's another "we're just shoving crap into a SharePoint" tool, and not very many PM's likely know SharePoint enough to create work flows and automations to achieve what you are asking.  

MS should just buy SmartSheet and rename is MS Project.

Sunday, January 19, 2020 5:16 PM
  • Download incredi mail.

hassansayedissa

Sunday, January 19, 2020 5:39 PM
  • CraigPGH,

Have you seen the new Project for the web from Microsoft Project? Built on top of the Power Platform Common Data Service for Apps. Well worth a look considering how easily you can extend / add features using Power Apps, Power Automate etc. 

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

Monday, January 20, 2020 7:40 AM