none
Windows server 2003 R2 missing option - Manage Exchange RRS feed

• Question

• Hey folks,

I have been on Google for sometime trying to figure out how to fix this but reached the point where I have to ask as I am banging my head of a wall here.

I have installed a new server - Windows Server 2003 R2 standard edition SP2

I used the server manager wizard to set-up a  Domain Controller and created a new user - John

I used the server manager wizard to set-up Mail Server (POP3, SMTP) and created another user - Johnmc

Upon setting up "johnmc" I was prompted to configure and email address for my domain I added under Admin tools > POP3 server but found no option to add the email box for the original user "john". I fired back into ADUC to go to the properties of the user but the exchange tab is missing and then tried to right click on the user and "manage exchange" but it is missing too?

How do I getting these missing options back?

Thursday, March 8, 2012 5:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• You cant manage Exchange from ADUC since Exchange 2003.

If you are using Server Manager then it doent even sound like Exchange is installed in your org.

Thursday, March 8, 2012 6:37 PM
  • Am I being a tube here :(

I used the server manager to install Mail Server (POP3,SMTP) but that is not exchange?

So I found an exchange deployment tool using this guide - http://www.mmmug.co.uk/articles/exchange-2003-setup-guide but got stuck on some steps:

DCdiag is not recognised

Netdiag is not recognised

Forestprep and domainprep are not found on the instalation CD

Am I on the right path here to setup a mail server?

Thursday, March 8, 2012 7:05 PM
  • Right, thats Exchange 2003. THere is no mail server built in to Windows 2008. You'll have to purchase Exchange 2010.

You can download the eval here

Thursday, March 8, 2012 7:09 PM
  • I have been looking on other ways to run forestprep and domainprep as there is no setup folder on my CD but can't find away. I think I will park setting up an exchange server and just use POP3/SMTP for my domain name as that should work!

I have some exchange server stuff on my MSDN account and will download later. I think I will move onto a new project on setting up servers - doing the MS courses . . . not getting on too well it seems :~(

Cheers for the help and will have another crack at exchange server when I install Windows Server 2008.

Thursday, March 8, 2012 7:33 PM