Installing XP OEM in vmware legal/ ethical? RRS feed

• Question

• I am too confused about this.

Is it legal/ ethical to install an OEM XP disc in a vmware. IF it,s OK, what if I delete the VM Machine and create a new VM and re-install XP OEM in that machine? Alos what if I switch from VMware to som other Virtual software like Virtual Box, Parallels etc?

Thanks a lot for any help.
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 6:38 AM

All replies

• I'm not sure of the legalalites, but as for ethical >>

If you have a computer sitting next to you (with blank hard drive), which has an OEM license sticker on the side of it - Use it! You paid for it as part of the PC purchase, so why not use the license (If it isn't in use)
    That's what I do anyways. I don't believe in piracy, but I believe I should be able to run OEM on a virtual, with an OEM license number taken from the side of an old *SWIPED* PC.

As for re-installing it, not a good Idea - I would install it as a one off, install latest updates etc... clone it, and use the clone whenever you need to go back to the start. Otherwise you may have the trouble of contacting Microsoft to re-activate each time you re-install it.
    • Proposed as answer by anthonyrsc Tuesday, September 1, 2009 2:45 PM
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 2:45 PM
  • I personally don't pirate software either, that's why I got the Tech Net Subscription :) However, as far as the rules work, as far as I understand, as long as that OEM key is not running on any other computer while you are running it on the virtual machine, you are not in any violation of any rules/laws.  If you have the key legally, then you may use it at any time as long as that is the only running copy of that key.

James
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 3:01 PM
  • Hmmm... they say that OEM key is tied to your mobo where u first installed it and can,t be transferred to other mobo.
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 6:44 AM
  • It depends on the installation disc that you have.  If you have a Dell OEM disc, the disc is just a Windows installation, and will work on any computer that you use it on.  Some of the HP and Sony discs are full system restore discs that actually check the tattooing on the motherboard and will not work on any other computer.  It just depends on what you actually have.

James
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 10:37 AM
  • Actually I am concerned with EULA of MS, not the technical issues.

Thanks
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 5:01 PM
  • Which part of the EULA? - It's quite big!
    Friday, September 4, 2009 10:49 AM
  • Its both legal and ethical. Though its the most expensive route you can take... Technically (though is is slightly different with OEM) you are buying a license per processor. The only time that is different is when you buy SQL licenses. That is licensed per core not per processor.

Friday, September 4, 2009 6:28 PM
  • actually... the above is true as long as you dont have it installed anywhere else...
    Friday, September 4, 2009 6:35 PM
  • Software Terms of Use
    Use of this OEM System Builder Channel software is subject to the terms of the Microsoft OEM System Builder License. This software requires the builder to provide end user support for the Windows software. Once this software is installed and activated it cannot be transferred to another computer.

Here are the terms of USE for an OEM version. It means that it can be installed only on a single PC and can,t be transferred any more. While in case of VMware I might transfer it multiple times from one VM to the other.

So...? Can some one from MS official mods reply to me?

Thanks

Friday, September 25, 2009 11:41 PM
  • Any one please?

Thanks
    Friday, October 9, 2009 6:47 PM
  • My 2c:
    Assuming you are a SYSTEM BUILDER, and are entitled to purchased OEM licenses: If you purchase brand-new XP OEM(s) and affix the COA(s) to the side of your VMWare server, and only have ONE running instance of each license simultaneously; you are technically working within the scope of the license; if you EVER migrate that image off that physical box you will have contravened the terms and conditions of the OEM license.

Changing the Hypervisor or Guest OS will not effect the terms of the lisence agreement; you will still only be able to have running ONE instance of each unique (based on product key) VM.

...which is why you SHOULD be using Retail or VLM licenses!!!

So just dont do it  :)
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 9:11 AM