Eclipse Indigo 3.7.0.12 RRS feed

• Question

• Sequenced deployment issue:

I sequenced the applcation "Eclipse Indigo  3.7.0.12" with App-V 5.0. During deployment with powershell scripting facing the issue while lauching the shortcut "Eclispe Indigo". I am getting the error like "The configuration area at "c:\users\admin\.eclipse\org.eclipse.platform_3.7.0_1416090908\configuration" is not writable.Please choose a writable location using the '-configuration' command line option".

Immediate response will be appreciable.

Thanks in Advance.

Hanuma Reddy.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 10:37 AM

Answers

• Use the "-configuration" command line option and move the configuration area to another location. For example, the user home drive would typically be used.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 5:03 PM

All replies

• Sequenced deployment issue:

I sequenced the applcation "Eclipse Indigo  3.7.0.12" with App-V 5.0. During deployment with powershell scripting facing the issue while lauching the shortcut "Eclispe Indigo". I am getting the error like "The configuration area at "c:\users\admin\.eclipse\org.eclipse.platform_3.7.0_1416090908\configuration" is not writable.Please choose a writable location using the '-configuration' command line option".

Immediate response will be appreciable.

Thanks in Advance.

Hanuma Reddy.

• Merged by Robin_Ren Monday, June 10, 2013 7:32 PM duplicate
    Wednesday, June 5, 2013 10:38 AM
  • Hello,

If this is not part of your package;

Verify why Eclipse can not write to that location

If this is part of your package;

Determine if it attempts to write to parts of virtual filesystem or the native profile

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 10:55 AM
  • Hi

It is trying to take the entries from the base location "c:\users\admin" and poping the error like "c:\users\admin\.eclipse\org.eclipse.platform_3.7.0_1416090908\configuration" is not writable.Please choose a writable location using the '-configuration' command line option".

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 12:06 PM
  • Hi

It is tyring to access from the base location "c:\users\admin" though the files are not present at this location.

In fact the files are presented in Virtual File System.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 12:12 PM
  • Hello,

What happens if you create the files in the location, where they are not`?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 12:24 PM
  • Use the "-configuration" command line option and move the configuration area to another location. For example, the user home drive would typically be used.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 5:03 PM
  • From what I can gather, Eclipse tries to write a dll to this folder to determine whether or not it's writable, and this file extension is read only in the VFS.

If you create this folder locally, the application should work. However, the easiest solution is to not launch the application whilst sequencing so that it does not get captured in the VFS; then the folder will get created in the user profile on first launch.

More info here: http://packageology.com/2014/08/issue-app-v-5-java-mission-control/

Dan Gough - packageology.com Twitter (@packageologist) LinkedIn

• Edited by Dan Gough Tuesday, August 5, 2014 8:28 PM
    Tuesday, August 5, 2014 8:27 PM
  • Hello Everyone 

I have sequenced  Apache Directory Studio Application using APPV 5.0, it has java jdk1.7.0_71 has pre-req after publishing the application in APPV client ,while launching the shortcut it shows  couple of error error 1- c:\users\admin\.eclipse is not writable.Please choose a writable location using the '-configuration' command line option". 

2-The Apache directory Studio Executable launcher was unable to lacate its Companion launcher jar 

I have tried all the steps suggested above ,compared the installdir folder with the source  all files were placed  correctly. tried giving permissions still could not find the FIX .

Quick Respose would be Helpful 

Regards

Navnit

Friday, November 28, 2014 1:46 PM
  • Make sure the %USERPROFILE%\.eclipse folder is not present in the App-V package (and all packages in the group if using connection groups). Then it will try to create the folder on the local file system instead where it will succeed when it tries to write a dll file to it.

Friday, November 28, 2014 1:52 PM
  • I found wat causes the issue but no idea how to implement this in Appv .Actual issue is  with the Directory "C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\AppV\Client\VFS\4370AB78-64A7-4A3D-A32B-66E5A9E82917\ProgramFilesX64\ApacheDirectoryStudio\plugins"Iam getting below error. if i delete this directory shortcut works fine.but this is package cache, where all the files does not get copied properly.

we use MSI file to deploy the package. The same package if i publish using powershell it works absolutely fine.Unable to figure out how to get this fixed with MSI any help is appreciated 

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 11:21 AM
  • Have you tried this with SP3?

Steve Thomas, Senior Consultant, Microsoft

App-V/MED-V/SCVMM/Server App-V/MDOP/AppCompat

http://blogs.technet.com/gladiatormsft/
    The App-V Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/appv/
    The MED-V Team Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/medv
    The SCVMM Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/scvmm/

“This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. User assumes all risks.”

Sunday, December 7, 2014 7:10 AM
  • To get an eclipse application fully working within the VFS, use the readOnly setting as described in the Eclipse runtime options on help.eclips.org. (I cannot add links with my account)

During sequencing, start the application for the first time to get the necessary content in the user configuration folder. Then find the configuration folder in the install folder with the config.ini file. Add the line "osgi.configuration.area.readOnly=true".

Some Eclipse apps will work properly with only this adjustment. Others need to be fine tuned some more by using the referred runtime options. For example, SAP BO Design Studio does not handle the dash in the Workspace folder correctly. So I also had to change the value of the "osgi.instance.area.default"-property.

Note: If you change the the location of the user configuration folder, normally the application creates the right content automatically. If you use the readOnly setting, it will not. You have to copy the necessary content to that folder manually.

• Edited by Peter_Rotterdam Monday, January 16, 2017 8:35 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Dan Gough Monday, January 16, 2017 9:11 AM
    Monday, January 16, 2017 8:34 AM