none
Synchronize task from another project RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have a question, may someone of you experts can help me.

I have a summary schedule with main tasks from other subschedules.

I would like to synchronize the task start, end and duration with the subtasks, that I don't need to do the same job twice if I have a change in the subschedule.

I hope it is clear what I am searching for and it would be really nice if someone can help me.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Tobias

Friday, October 12, 2012 7:17 AM

Answers

• Tobias,

Although paste links can do what you want, they are very susceptible to corruption. I wouldn't recommend it.

What you describe could better be created with a dynamic master file wherein project A, B, and C are inserted as subproject into the master. This structure is still prone to corruption but not as much as paste links. With a dynamic master you can filter, group or otherwise organize the view to create the overview.

An even better approach is to create a static master which can also be filtered, grouped or organized to create the overview. It is created in the same way as a dynamic master (i.e. Project/Subprojects) except the "link to project" option in the Insert Project window is unchecked. The disadvantage of a static master is that the master file is a completely separate file and has no dynamic links to the subproject files. The big advantage of a static master is that it is NOT prone to corruption.

John

• Marked as answer by der_toby Thursday, November 22, 2012 7:23 AM
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 3:55 PM

All replies

• I hope I understood the question correctly - you have a Summary Task which have tasks from some other schedule, is it a Master Project or a Cross linked Project?

If its a Master Project, then you should have already set it as a "Link to Project" option selected while adding sub-projects. This will anyways open option of dual way update. Refer - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help/plans-within-plans-master-projects-and-subprojects-HA010379395.aspx

http://www.kodyaz.com/microsoft-office/create-master-project-subproject-microsoft-project-2010.aspx

If its a Cross Linked Project then it would always have bi-direction update available. Refer - http://www.projectserverexperts.com/ProjectServerFAQKnowledgeBase/interprojectlinks.aspx

If this is not the case, please clarify further on your question and constrains that you are encountering to help us provide insight into the scenario.

Sapna Shukla

Friday, October 12, 2012 8:28 AM
  • Hi Sapna,

thanks but this is not what I want.

I will try it again:
    - I have a schedule A, a schedule B and a  schedule C.

- For a better overview I create a new schedule D.

- I want to create a new task D1 that show me the information from the Task A1 from the schedule A.

- The information I need is: Start, Duration and End.

- This information shall be shown in Task D1.

- That means I want a double or copy or whatever from Task A1 in the schedule D.

I hope you know what I mean ;)

Best regards,

Tobias

Friday, October 12, 2012 12:15 PM
  • Oh Ok got it, you mean that you have a Schedule D and there is a task D1 which you want to have Start Date, Finish Date and Duration of this task same as another Schedule A's A1 task - you can create hammock task for that where in you need to copy dates/duration from A1 to D1 using Paste Special and selecting Paste Link; this will synchronize 2 tasks. Refer - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/141733 please do refer to pros and cons of hammock linking.

Sapna Shukla

Friday, October 12, 2012 1:34 PM
  • Hi Sapna,

Thanks!

Yes, you are right that works.

But: I had in the past some problems with this kind of linking. 1) It was very slow because of permanently loading and 2) you don't know exactly what was linked and where the link is going.

So, if you have another idea that would be very kind.

Best regards,

Tobias

Monday, October 15, 2012 1:28 PM
  • Hi all,

the problem is still valid, may someone has another idea then the hamock task?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Best regards,

Tobias

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 2:47 PM
  • Tobias,

Although paste links can do what you want, they are very susceptible to corruption. I wouldn't recommend it.

What you describe could better be created with a dynamic master file wherein project A, B, and C are inserted as subproject into the master. This structure is still prone to corruption but not as much as paste links. With a dynamic master you can filter, group or otherwise organize the view to create the overview.

An even better approach is to create a static master which can also be filtered, grouped or organized to create the overview. It is created in the same way as a dynamic master (i.e. Project/Subprojects) except the "link to project" option in the Insert Project window is unchecked. The disadvantage of a static master is that the master file is a completely separate file and has no dynamic links to the subproject files. The big advantage of a static master is that it is NOT prone to corruption.

John

• Marked as answer by der_toby Thursday, November 22, 2012 7:23 AM
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 3:55 PM
  • Hi John,

ok, you are right, that is for my problem the better solution. Thanks!

But another likely problem I have: If I want a task (e.g. Project Control), that should have the same begin and end as the schedule. -> Is this only possible with the hammock task?

Thanks and best regards,

Tobias

Thursday, November 22, 2012 7:22 AM
  • der_toby,

You're welcome.

Yes, one way to implement a project control task that spans the whole project is to use a hammock task. However, since this involves the use of paste links, it creates the possibility of corruption. There are other methods for creating a project control task. One is to manually set up the project control task (i.e. start date is project start and end date is either manually set to the last task's finish date or via an entry in the duration field that will yield the last task's finish date). The former creates a finish-no-later-than constraint whereas the latter leaves no constraint (i.e. as-soon-as-possible). And yes, you would need to edit the project control task if the overall plan changes.

Another method is to break the project control task into smaller tasks, say one for each month or quarter of the overall project. That gives each part a defined start and finish and it is relatively easy to adjust the parameters of the project control task if necessary.

So, there are a few options. Pick the one that best suits your needs.

John

Thursday, November 22, 2012 4:45 PM
  • Hi John,

thank you for some other hints that you give me.

I now also was thinking about a macro that copy and paste bevore saving e.g.

That works fine, it is simple and make no corruption.

Best regards,

Tobias

Friday, November 23, 2012 10:30 AM