SP3 Hangs at agpCPQ.sys during bootup RRS feed

• Question

• A few days after installing SP3, my Dell Latitude D620 laptop now repeatedly hangs during the bootup sequence at the "agpCPQ.sys" driver, leaving me with completely black screen. Booting in Safe mode works, but I a have been unable to rectify the problem even after installing the latest BIOS and video drivers and temporarily removing the battery.  I'm wondering if the problem might be related to the Adobe Acrobat Pro 7.09 patch that I recently installed(??).   Returning to SP2 always clears the problem. 

Any ideas to solve this problem?

Thanks

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 3:49 PM

Answers

• Hi JHM15

The issue seems to be a similar problem being reported earlier. Please see the following link for further details

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324764

- Please let me know if this trouble shooting works.

- Also, can you confirm if the XP has been installed on any FAT32 partition?

Thanks and regards

Ravi Sastry Kadali

---------------------------

We ship XP SP3!

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 4:33 PM

All replies

• Hi JHM15

The issue seems to be a similar problem being reported earlier. Please see the following link for further details

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324764

- Please let me know if this trouble shooting works.

- Also, can you confirm if the XP has been installed on any FAT32 partition?

Thanks and regards

Ravi Sastry Kadali

---------------------------

We ship XP SP3!

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 4:33 PM
  • I followed your recommended approach and the probem appears to has disappered - at least for now ;-)    Thanks you!   

BTW, my disk partition is formted NTFS, not FAT32.

Is the root cause of this problem that an incompatible vendor driver was installed at some point?

JHM15
    Wednesday, February 27, 2008 9:49 PM
  • Unfortunately the same problem returned!!!.  I installed the latest video drivers from Dell and disabled *both* agp440.sys and agpCPQ.sys using the instructions in the above referenced site, but the problem persists.    When I remove XP SP3 and return to SP2, everything always works fine again.   Must be something in XP3 that my machine does not like. 

Any other ideas?
    Tuesday, March 4, 2008 2:08 PM
  • Hi,

Can you please share the output of msinfo32 from your system with us?

Are you able to boot into safe mode with SP3?

Thanks

Shashank

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 5:29 PM
  • Shashank:

I sent my msinfo32 file directly to you via email approximately 1-2 weeks ago.  Did you receive it and have a chance to review it?    

Thanks

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 1:44 PM
  • Yes, we looked at the log file.

As per our understanding, you are using a Symantec Antivirs. There is a known compatibility issue between RC2 and Symantec AV, that causes this issue.

It is being fixed for subsequent releases.

Thanks

Shashank

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 6:25 PM
  • reading your message chain it appears that my reply may be too late, but I experienced this problem when I applied SP2 to my XP box.  I looked online and found this link http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/WinXP/microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support/2004-10/6652.html

I ran into this problem years ago when I loaded SP2.  My PC was new enough to be under warranty, so I had them ship me a repalcement hard drive.  I restored the OS to that drive and overwrote the file UPDATE.SYS on the "corrupt" disk with the version from the restore - this was the pre-SP2 version of UPDATE.SYS.  I powered off, removed the new drive, and rebooted.  My PC was fine until 2 days ago...  I installed SP3.  You can guess what happened.

As it stands,  I kept the replacement hard drive AND the "corrupt" drive - on which my OS currently resides back when I had the original problem.  I have several GB of digital pictures that, though they are backed up, I don't want to lose.  I also HATE re-installing all the software *** I have added since my last system backup.  Fortunately, I work in IT, and have access to several key tools.  I found an old copy of the Windows XP installation CD with no SP applied.  I extracted update.sy_ from the i386 folder and ran an expand command (DOS) to generate the full UPDATE.SYS file - size is 134 KB (you will notice that the SP2 version is @250 and the SP3 version is @376 (I think!))  I parked this file on a thumb drive, then booted from a CD (Ultimate Boot CD) and ran a chkdsk on the "re-corrupted" disk.  I archived/renamed the UPDATE.SYS files (there were 2 resullts when I searched for that file), then copied the pre-SP2 version to these 2 locations.  I am now using my PC as I did before.  I take no credit for this fix, I found it years ago, but I have a feeling that the original author has moved on to a new, unaffected PC by now and hasn't run into the issue.  I found your post in my search for the post I had used as a reference before.

HTH

j

Friday, September 5, 2008 1:18 PM
  • Ravi

This is of little help to me. The computer I have is supplied with discs that will reload XP back to original factory status but nothing else. Does this mean i will have to lose all the data on that computer?

I read somewhere it is related to having an AMD processor, whcih the affected computer has. Is this true?

Regards

Andy Ashton
    Saturday, September 27, 2008 8:37 PM
  •  andy ashton wrote:
    The computer I have is supplied with discs that will reload XP back to original factory status but nothing else. Does this mean i will have to lose all the data on that computer?

Yes, if you use that CD, you will lose all your data and installed applications.  Every OEM that supplied Windows pre-installed on a PC is obligated by the terms of their agreement with Microsoft to supply a consumer, on demand, with a Windwos installation CD.  So ask the manufacturer who pre-installed Windows on your PC to supply you with an installation CD if you want one.

I read somewhere it is related to having an AMD processor, whcih the affected computer has. Is this true?

That all depends.  What is your actual problem?  Please give exact error messages or numbers that you see.

Monday, September 29, 2008 7:31 PM
  • Thanks for this info. I will try to get an XP installation disc from Acer. Meantime I have abandoned trying to reserve my data (fortunately all backed up) and reinstalled to factory settings. The problem persists. I have then used partition magic to format the FAT 32 partition with windows on it, reinstalled and it STILL doesn't work. Surely I have deleted SP3 by now. When loading it still stops in safe mode at AGPspq.sys. How can this be a software problem when I have deleted all the software? How do I fix it? ACER have offered to "re-inage" the hard drive but at a cost of £70. I would like to fix the problem myself if I can.
    Saturday, November 1, 2008 9:53 PM