In large Word 2010 document, make images stay with text RRS feed

• Question

• I have a large (50+) page Word 2007 with about 90+ graphics. It is a two-column document and some images span both columns.

I had migrated the document from Word to Publisher because the image placement features kept misbehaving. I'm willing to give it another shot in 2010.

What is the official, SIMPLE way to

(1) caption an image and keep the caption stuck to the image forever;

(2) keep this graphic glued to the surrounding text, exactly, with word wrapping;

(3) keep selected graphics at a fixed place on the page rather than moving with the text?

In Word 2007, everything downstream would twitch and move when I updated text or graphics upstream, no matter whether I made it inline, square, etc. I am hoping Word 2010 is better.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 9:22 PM

Answers

• For:

1. Insert the image and its caption into a one or two-cell table.

2. If you want the image to span columns, it can't be formatted as in-line. Provided you don't change anything preceding the image, it should remain put.

3. Uncheck the 'move with text' option and check the 'lock anchor' option.

You should always add the images, or convert them to floating after all the text editing has been done. Note also that, as page layout is printer dependent, changing printers/drivers (as happens when you email a document to someone else) can mess up the page layout at the recipient's end.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Marked as answer by Jaynet Zhang Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:55 AM
    Wednesday, November 7, 2012 5:15 AM

All replies

• For:

1. Insert the image and its caption into a one or two-cell table.

2. If you want the image to span columns, it can't be formatted as in-line. Provided you don't change anything preceding the image, it should remain put.

3. Uncheck the 'move with text' option and check the 'lock anchor' option.

You should always add the images, or convert them to floating after all the text editing has been done. Note also that, as page layout is printer dependent, changing printers/drivers (as happens when you email a document to someone else) can mess up the page layout at the recipient's end.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Marked as answer by Jaynet Zhang Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:55 AM
    Wednesday, November 7, 2012 5:15 AM
  • From point (2), is it accurate to say that Microsoft Word does not allow you to have images that span mutiple columns and move with the text?
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 5:32 PM
  • It's impossible to add the images at the very end, unfortunately. I don't know if Publisher is the better tool for the job or not.
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 5:33 PM
  • From point (2), is it accurate to say that Microsoft Word does not allow you to have images that span mutiple columns and move with the text?

No. What it means is that you need to be careful how you specify the image alignment. Obviously, if you set the 'Left' relative position to 'Column' and the text the image is anchored to changes column, you're going to run into all sorts of problems.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:57 PM