Start menu and Search suddenly aren't working anymore RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

My name is Erik. As you can see in the title my Start menu and my Search bar suddenly stopped working after I turned my computer off and 10 minutes later on, in the hope to find a fix I started searching on the internet, and tried many different things but the Start menu and the search bar are still not functional (I can click on both as long as I want but nothing will happen). I hope someone can help my fixing this problem.

Erik

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 8:46 PM

Answers

• Some fixes are shown here:

https://www.maketecheasier.com/fix-windows-10-start-menu-search/

Jerry

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 9:44 PM
  • Try a restore from when the issue did not exist. Press ctrl+alt+del and hold the shift key whilst clicking restarting from the power icon bottom right. That will take you to a Choose an option screen. On the Choose an option screen choose Troubleshoot > Advanced options > System Restore. The system will reboot, login and choose a restore point from before the issue happened.
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 9:58 PM
  • Hi Erik,

Besides that, please run this command in the PowerShell with administrator to re-register all apps:

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"} 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 4, 2016 2:51 AM
  • Open PowerShell and run the following command:

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

Other things could be tried.

Using DISM Commands

i) Press Windows + x on your keyboard.

ii) Select Command prompt (Admin) to open Administrator Command Prompt .

iii) In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press the Enter key after each command:
         dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
         dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Using sfc /scannow

a. Click on Start button and type cmd in search box.

b. Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

c. Type the following command and hit Enter.

sfc /scannow

Create a new user account and recheck the issue.

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Thursday, February 4, 2016 3:07 AM

All replies

• Some fixes are shown here:

https://www.maketecheasier.com/fix-windows-10-start-menu-search/

Jerry

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 9:44 PM
  • Try a restore from when the issue did not exist. Press ctrl+alt+del and hold the shift key whilst clicking restarting from the power icon bottom right. That will take you to a Choose an option screen. On the Choose an option screen choose Troubleshoot > Advanced options > System Restore. The system will reboot, login and choose a restore point from before the issue happened.
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 9:58 PM
  • Hi Erik,

Besides that, please run this command in the PowerShell with administrator to re-register all apps:

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"} 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 4, 2016 2:51 AM
  • Open PowerShell and run the following command:

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

Other things could be tried.

Using DISM Commands

i) Press Windows + x on your keyboard.

ii) Select Command prompt (Admin) to open Administrator Command Prompt .

iii) In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press the Enter key after each command:
         dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
         dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Using sfc /scannow

a. Click on Start button and type cmd in search box.

b. Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

c. Type the following command and hit Enter.

sfc /scannow

Create a new user account and recheck the issue.

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Thursday, February 4, 2016 3:07 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 8:10 AM