none
Remove or Lock Down File Explorer and Settings options from WIN10 Start Menu

Question

• Hello all and thanks for your time and expertise.

Here's my scenario:  I utilized the Start Layout option in group policy to customize the Start Screen.  That worked fine.  However, I also wanted to remove options from the Start Menu such as File Explorer and Settings.  This part has been a problem.

To remove File Explorer and Settings from the Start Menu (not the Start Screen) I tried going to settings/personalization/start and turning the File Explorer and Settings options off and then uploading a new Start Layout xml file.  This blew up in my face.

Not only did this not work but it then screwed up my tile customization on the Start Screen.

I guess my question is can File Explorer and Settings be safely removed from the Start menu or can their functionality be disabled from the Start Menu.

Your recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thursday, July 21, 2016 4:23 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

To remove file explorer and settings from start menu, you could turn off them in settings like below:

1. click setting

2.click personalization

3. click start

4. click Choose which folders appear on start

5. turn off file explorer and settings

In addition, you could try to install an Alternative Start Menu.

For more information, you could refer to the article below.

How to customize the Windows 10 Start Menu

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-customize-the-windows-10-start-menu-1721973296

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no

help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 22, 2016 5:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

To remove file explorer and settings from start menu, you could turn off them in settings like below:

1. click setting

2.click personalization

3. click start

4. click Choose which folders appear on start

5. turn off file explorer and settings

In addition, you could try to install an Alternative Start Menu.

For more information, you could refer to the article below.

How to customize the Windows 10 Start Menu

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-customize-the-windows-10-start-menu-1721973296

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no

help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 22, 2016 5:51 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any updates?

If the replies have resolved your problem, please mark it as answer as it would be helpful to anyone who encounters the similar issue.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 28, 2016 5:13 AM