Launch App-V 5.1 application at startup/logon RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I was wondering what the best approach is to launch an App-V 5.1 app after the user logs on. The issue is that App-V 5 apps launch from the %LOCALAPPDATA% directory which doesn't exist yet until the refresh is finished so adding the executable to a GPO doesn't seem to do the trick, it can't find the executable. Adding the application to the Startup folder doesn't work either since that won't be processed anymore once App-V client added the shortcut.

Any idea how to solve this? With 4.6 I could just use sfttray.exe to do this, is there something similar in 5? Or can I just launch the app from the %Programdata% folder, does that make a difference?

Thanks!

Thursday, November 5, 2015 4:40 PM

Answers

• I 'solved' this issue, well it's more like a workaround. I've sequenced the package and removed all shortcuts after sequencing. Then I published the app globally and added a shortcut to the user's startup folder by GPO (pointing to %programdata%\app-v\etc.... Now it launches fine on every logon and I can control the shortcut by security group.

Don't know if this is the recommended approach but it works for me! 

That entire publishing server seems a bit redundant to me anyway. Maybe I'm better of global publishing everything and use GPOs to add shortcuts for all applications. Even speeds up the logon/publishing process.

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 9:57 AM

All replies

• Applications which are published to Users will store content in LOCALAPPDATA where as applications published Globally will have content in PROGRAMDATA. I don't think it makes a difference if you execute it from PROGRAMDATA. Keep in mind that the executable will ignore any parameters that are set for the Shortcut.

Have you tried adding the AppV shortcut to the Startup Folder?

Posted AS IS with No Warranties. Mark as Answer if this answers your question, It will help other community members.

Thursday, November 5, 2015 5:15 PM
  • Adding it to the startup folder doesn't work no because the shortcut is only added when the startup folder has been processed already and when I do add the executable from programdata to a startup gpo it throws me this error: 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2783120

So I assume it's trying to launch the App-V package while the client isn't ready yet.

There has to be a way though to launch app-v apps after logon with v5.

Thanks anyway!

Thursday, November 5, 2015 5:31 PM
  • %LOCALAPPDATA% (user) and %allusersprofile% (global) only contain the dynamic links... the actual data is stored under the PackageInstallationRoot (%programdata%\App-V by default).
    If you configure a startup shortcut while the package is not added (and published) to the system/user yet it will fail (in such a case, you could create some kind of a powershellscript, which waits until the specific app is published, and fire up the exe afterwards).
    If it's already on the system you could use the exe directly from %programdata%.

Thursday, November 5, 2015 9:18 PM
  • I 'solved' this issue, well it's more like a workaround. I've sequenced the package and removed all shortcuts after sequencing. Then I published the app globally and added a shortcut to the user's startup folder by GPO (pointing to %programdata%\app-v\etc.... Now it launches fine on every logon and I can control the shortcut by security group.

Don't know if this is the recommended approach but it works for me! 

That entire publishing server seems a bit redundant to me anyway. Maybe I'm better of global publishing everything and use GPOs to add shortcuts for all applications. Even speeds up the logon/publishing process.

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 9:57 AM
  • The application should be published to user/global first to use the startup shortcut. I have successfully sequenced many apps and added startup shortcuts (copied shortcut from C:\Users\test\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs)and faced no issues. First time the application is published and added shortcut to startup and logoff/login, the application starts up as desired.

(Please click on "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", if it has helped you.)

app2pack.blogspot.com: app2pack.blogspot.com

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 8:35 AM
  • Yes this works with global publishing, but not when published to the user. At least not for me.

Do you add the startup shortcut with GPO or with App-V publishing?

Thanks.

Thursday, November 12, 2015 10:10 AM
  • With GPO.

(Please click on "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", if it has helped you.)

app2pack.blogspot.com: app2pack.blogspot.com

Thursday, November 12, 2015 10:17 AM