Non-Admin Users Cannot Log In to Remote Web Access RRS feed

• Question

• This is a migration from SBS 2003.  I have finished the migration, including the users, but they cannot log in to RWA.  They receive a message "Remote Web Access is not allowed for your user account".  I have verified the settings for the users in the Dashboard and also verified the membership in the RA_AllowRemoteAccess security group.  The Application Log shows an Informational Event ID 1000 from Source RemoteAccessWebsite that states the user logged on to Remote Web Access.  The W3SVC1 logs show only 200 and 302 statuses.  I have tried creating a new standard user through the dashboard and I receive the same result.  I created a new administrator account through the Dashboard and was able to login successfully.  I also had an issue with users disappearing from the Dashboard after attempting to login to RWA.  I was able to resolve it by renaming the user account the same as the user logon name.  I don't know if that is related or not.  Several of the admin accounts had to be renamed and re-added to the dashboard before they could log in to RWA.

Friday, July 1, 2011 4:00 PM

Answers

• Microsoft Support was able to resolve this issue.  It turns out that there some permission issues from the source server that got migrated to the new server.  Here is synopsis from the Microsoft Support Tech:

>> Went to adsiedit.msc and checked under user properties -- Security Tab -- Authenticated users did not have Read permissions.

>> Checked the top level OU -- SBSUsers and on that the Authenticated Users had read permission.

>> But the permission was only applied to that Object.

>> Changed it to -- This object and all descendant objects.

>> Applied the changes so that the permissions got propagated.

>> Now tried to login with the standard user account, we were able to login successfully.

>> Also did the same for Users OU and tested for another account, it was working fine.

• Marked as answer by GregSFI Wednesday, July 20, 2011 4:03 PM
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 4:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What process did you follow to get the users to show up in the dashboard?

Robert Pearman SBS MVP (2010) | www.titlerequired.com | www.itauthority.co.uk
    Friday, July 1, 2011 4:27 PM
  • The initial process I used was the script listed in the "Migrating Windows Small Business Server 2003 to Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials" document from Microsoft.  When a user would disappear after attempting to login to RWA, I used the WssPowerShell command Import-WssUser -Name <username>.

Friday, July 1, 2011 4:33 PM
  • I also have this problem.

Migration from SBS2003 to SBS2011E. Non-admin users cannot logon to RWA with exactly the same error & symptoms.

N.

Monday, July 4, 2011 12:45 PM
  • Microsoft Support was able to resolve this issue.  It turns out that there some permission issues from the source server that got migrated to the new server.  Here is synopsis from the Microsoft Support Tech:

>> Went to adsiedit.msc and checked under user properties -- Security Tab -- Authenticated users did not have Read permissions.

>> Checked the top level OU -- SBSUsers and on that the Authenticated Users had read permission.

>> But the permission was only applied to that Object.

>> Changed it to -- This object and all descendant objects.

>> Applied the changes so that the permissions got propagated.

>> Now tried to login with the standard user account, we were able to login successfully.

>> Also did the same for Users OU and tested for another account, it was working fine.

• Marked as answer by GregSFI Wednesday, July 20, 2011 4:03 PM
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 4:03 PM
  • I have the same problem although I did a new installaion of SBS2011STD. Please be so kind to extract this how to because it is not so easy to follow. In the active directory console I tried to set rights but without success. (Plus my OS language is italian...) I need a clear step-by-step howto... Thanx a million mate!
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 9:47 AM