Fell flat on my face with Steadystate....... RRS feed

• Question

• I built up and tested the first of the 4 new Patron computers for our Library on the bench in my office. Configured and tested SteadyState, and verified the update process (still don't have the script working for AVG).

Took the machine into the Library, connected to LAN, and was greeted with the message "Updating - will re-boot when complete". Of course it was looking for MY network, not the one at the Library. I assumed I could abort the process and reconfigure the connection - NOT SO.

Apparently SteadyState does not allow interrupting of the update process. Had to take the machine back to the office, allow the update process to conclude, disable updates, and take it back to the Library and reconfigure the connection.

Just a heads up for other users - would appreciate any information on how to work around this should I forget to disable the update process in the future as we add more machines......

bg
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 11:15 PM

All replies

• I am sorry to hear about your inconvenience. Not being able to interrupt the update process can be frustrating at times. However, this was done on purpose, to allow important updates to be installed at the time designated by the administrator.

Fortunately, even with a bad network configuration, the update process would not hang indefinitely. The update process has three stages: Windows Update, Custom Scripts and Anti-Virus Software Update. Each stage is limited to a 30 minute time-out. This means that if you have all three update types configured, the process will time out after 90 minutes.

RDGreene wrote:
    …Configured and tested SteadyState, and verified the update process…

I am not sure what you meant by "verified the update process". When logged on, you get a warning about ten minutes before the update process begins, to allow you to save your work, or in your case, remind you to disable updates until after you configure the systems for their designated network.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Eyal

Microsoft PM

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 11:58 PM
  • I am having issues with steady state and updating AVG.  I tried writing a custom script that would allow AVG to update, but when the computer reboots to apply updates it runs for about 5 minutes then restarts itself with out ever finishing the AVG update.  It's stuck on the same update, just keeps trying and rebooting.  Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Chad
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 3:25 PM