Vista 32 bit and 4 GB memory RRS feed

• Question

• I  forgot the fact that Vista 32 Bit can only see 3 GB of memory . So I added 4Gb and can only see 2.99GB in computer properties.

Is there any way by editing any files that Vista can see more than this memory? I read something like Vista 32 bit can see upto 3.3GB or something?

My laptop is not 64 bit supported.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Friday, December 2, 2011 11:25 AM

Answers

All replies

• you want to change the RAM capacity in the Computer Properties ??  , you cannot do that , but if you Added the additional RAM , you should see the capacity are increased if not please go to the shop you're added your RAM 

Regards,

MCP ✦ MCTS ✦ MCITP
    Friday, December 2, 2011 6:12 PM
  • It is a well know fact that it shows 2.99Gb memory.  (For that i dont need to go to any shop) .Now my question is

Is there any way by editing any files that Vista can see more than this memory? I read something like Vista 32 bit can see upto 3.3GB or something?

Also even if Vista is only seeing that much memory is it better for the laptop as a whole ( I mean hardware is able to utilise the extra 1 GB that i provided from earlier 3GB ?) . What i mean is " will it be better to keep this 4Gb than the earlier 3GB)

Thanks

• Edited by raj_nair_7 Saturday, December 3, 2011 5:56 AM
    Saturday, December 3, 2011 5:54 AM
  • Please read the information in the following KB article:

The system memory that is reported in the System Information dialog box in Windows Vista is less than you expect if 4 GB of RAM is installed

Sabrina

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Monday, December 12, 2011 3:56 AM
    Monday, December 5, 2011 9:31 AM