Orphan users clean up from sharepoint site RRS feed

• Question

• as per the "My site cleaner job", orphan users is to be deleted and it is running daily.
    But user is pointing out to increase the frequency, can we increase the frequency 
    and why some users are not able to delete? 

Friday, April 19, 2019 4:45 AM

Answers

• Hi SravanC,

Yes, the MySite cleaner job will delete the user ID, its attributes and MySite of the user.

The Mysite cleaner job will delete the user who is marked as “Deleted” no matter the user is the existing user or orphan user.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

• Marked as answer by SravanC Friday, May 3, 2019 10:38 AM
    Wednesday, May 1, 2019 8:27 AM
  • Hi SravanC,

The user profile and My site will be marked for deletion if any of the following conditions is met:

1. Account is deleted in AD (Active Directory).

2. Account is disabled in AD

3. SharePoint Profile Sync connection is modified with additional filters, deleted, recreated (e.g filter like exclude user with Department = Terminated)

4. Account is moved to an AD OU that is not part of SharePoint Profile Sync.

For more detailed information, refer to the article below.

MySite Deleted by MySite Cleanup Job.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, May 3, 2019 10:32 AM

All replies

• Hi SravanC,

You could increase the frequency of the "My Site Cleanup Job" timer job.

How did you delete the users?

And you could check if the user is in the user information list.

To access the user information list, you should append “/_catalogs/users/simple.aspx” after your site like the URL below.

http://yoursite/_catalogs/users/simple.aspx

Then you could select the user and delete the user from the user information list.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Friday, April 19, 2019 7:54 AM
  • Hi Sara,

Thank you for the response.
    Frequency we can increase, here My doubt is why existing frequency that is set for one day  is not working. 
    It supposed to delete automatically right? after my site cleaner job ran. 

what you have shared is to general users list from site collection. ( I believe it is not orphan user list) 
    however I got the report of orphan users list from the ShareGate tool.

these users should be deleted by it self instead we delete it manually right?
     Though my site cleaner job ran, why users are not getting deleted from site collection. Please help here.  

• Edited by SravanC Friday, April 19, 2019 8:55 AM
    Friday, April 19, 2019 8:54 AM
  • The cleanup job doesn't delete users from the site collection user list - if you have ShareGate, there is an option called "clean orphaned users", which may be what you need.

https://support-desktop.sharegate.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000641068-Clean-Orphaned-Users

Friday, April 19, 2019 9:11 AM

• then how come we make it deletion automatically of orphan users from sharepoint? with out using sharegate 

• Edited by SravanC Friday, April 19, 2019 9:31 AM
    Friday, April 19, 2019 9:17 AM
  • Hi SravanC,

You could find and delete the orphaned users by PowerShell script in SharePoint. For more detailed information, refer to the article below.

Find and Delete Orphaned Users in SharePoint with PowerShell.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Friday, April 19, 2019 9:48 AM
  • Hi Technought,

Could you please clarify  

difference between deleting the users and it deletes the my site associated with that users profile? 
    And what exactly my site job will do?
    • Edited by SravanC Friday, April 19, 2019 9:57 AM
    Friday, April 19, 2019 9:56 AM
  • Hi SravanC,

The My Site Cleanup Job will delete the user profiles and My Sites of those users. 

Inside the SharePoint 2010 My Site Cleanup Timer Job.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/kaevans/2012/06/25/inside-the-sharepoint-2010-my-site-cleanup-timer-job/

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Monday, April 22, 2019 9:08 AM

• Hi SravanC,

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Thursday, April 25, 2019 3:07 AM
  • Hi Sara,

Delete the user profiles? means it deletes USER ID itself? or attributes (email & contact no e,t,c)of user?

and which user is it existing user or orphan user? 

My sites of the user? means unless confirms we can not delete the mysites right? so why my site cleaner job deletes mysites? 

1. Remove user profiles that are queued for deletion. ? that means it deletes orphan users right? 

• Edited by SravanC Thursday, April 25, 2019 4:06 AM
    Thursday, April 25, 2019 4:04 AM
  • Hi SravanC,

Deleting the user profiles means that it deletes the user id and attributes.

It is the user who you want to delete. The user who is marked as “deleted” can be existing user or orphan user.

The MySite of the user will be deleted in 14 days. It does not need to comfire.

“Remove user profiles that are queued for deletion.” means it will delete the users in the queue.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Monday, April 29, 2019 10:06 AM
  • Hi Sara,

it is bit confusing.

so my site cleaner job will delete the user ID and its attributes. And it deletes the my site of that user also..Am I correct? 

so these are existing users or orphan users? 

because earlier it was said that my site cleaner job does not remove the orphan users? 

does it mean is it removing existing user details and my sites of the existing users? 

Monday, April 29, 2019 10:58 AM
  • Hi SravanC,

Yes, the MySite cleaner job will delete the user ID, its attributes and MySite of the user.

The Mysite cleaner job will delete the user who is marked as “Deleted” no matter the user is the existing user or orphan user.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Wednesday, May 1, 2019 8:27 AM
  • Hi Sara,

One last question: 

where "Deleted" is marked in the AD or CA?

And when it gets marked? 

Thursday, May 2, 2019 5:36 AM
  • Hi SravanC,

The user profile and My site will be marked for deletion if any of the following conditions is met:

1. Account is deleted in AD (Active Directory).

2. Account is disabled in AD

3. SharePoint Profile Sync connection is modified with additional filters, deleted, recreated (e.g filter like exclude user with Department = Terminated)

4. Account is moved to an AD OU that is not part of SharePoint Profile Sync.

MySite Deleted by MySite Cleanup Job.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Friday, May 3, 2019 10:32 AM
  • Thank you Sara for your effort 
    Friday, May 3, 2019 10:39 AM
  • Hi SravanC,

You can download the script using below link to remove orphan users from site collections.

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Report-or-Remove-Orphan-dcd45af0

You can also make windows schedulers to execute the script automatically. 

Thanks,

Siva

Wednesday, July 3, 2019 8:05 AM