none
Surface 3 getting frequent "Location not Avaliable" errors while wired to office lan RRS feed

• Question

•  My boss has a brand new Surface 3, running Windows 8.1 and using a docking station with external keyboard/monitor/mouse and wired LAN connection to a server 2008 AD network.

When connected to the LAN using a USB-RJ45 cable, and working on files on the network share, he is frequently getting the following error:

Location is not available:  "F:\proj is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc is inserted, and then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you're connected to the network or Interent, and then try again. If the location still can't be found, it might have been moved or deleted."

He is working on large numbers of graphics files in Lightroom and can see that when this error happens, the app knows the connection has been lost (it imposes '?' or 'X' on the gallery thumbnails or some indication that it can't contact the source).   After he clicks the OK button on the above dialog, the connection is immediately restored, but the frequent interruptions are definitely causing productivity difficulties.

I have checked the Surface's event log, but haven't found any events related to this error. Also no errors or faults detected on the switch (HP Procurve Gigabit).  I am seeing frequent logon ID:4769 and logoff ID:4634 events for him on the AD server/file server.

We swapped patch cables to the wall with a new one and I disabled "Active suspend" on the Surface's internal nic.  Still seeing the disconnects while wired to the office.  Of course, we have limites experience with this hardware/software platform he has the only Surface to test with, so any ideas for additional troubleshooting would be welcome.

James A. Helfer | COMPUTER SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR WTW ARCHITECTS | PITTSBURGH PA

Monday, January 19, 2015 5:32 PM