none
Does DPM 2016 even work with windows 7 and windows 10 in same domain? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi all,

I am trying to use this DPM 2016 outdated piece of software since I have the licenses but I can not make it work on windows 7 and windows 10 computers on same network.

1. I can not install agents automatically to all computers(random fails on both platforms),

2. Those computers who have agents mostly do not wont to work with dpm server, he is aware they are there but he can not communicate,

3. I can not remove computers from console in GUI only with PS script (I hate scripting, it looks like I should learn Linux, at least it is free)

4. As a miracle some computers do work but it is so random I can not find out why, mostly win 10 works but I have 3 win 7 that work too.

5. Some computers in console are shown with agent after the agent insulation but in fact there is no agent or services on the computer.

All the computers are on single domain, they have Eset internet security(I tried removing it but it had no effect, those who work still do those who do not still do not) all computers have office 2016, they are 98% pached up via wsus, they are extremely similar in hardware,  and software is the same(except win 7 or win 10 os).

Does any one use this DPM 2016 successfully (without a person doing ONLY that all the time) and did you find any practical tutorial, since Microsoft how to did not produce results?

Monday, June 12, 2017 12:56 PM

All replies

• Works for me, but we just backup servers and like 5 Windows 7 machines.
    Tuesday, June 20, 2017 6:45 AM
  • I tried to setup DPM2016 as a client document backup tool.

Had some of the same problems:

-installation of agent via GUI randomly broke, after several attempts it passed 

-Some agents lost connectivity to protection group and DPM didnt report nothing, just stopped backing up(taking snapshots)

-to set up some reasonable reporting you need to connect scom to DPM database and make your own report pulling data from database...

But with all that problems, the software works - it just need lot of tempering involved to set it up.

Monday, September 18, 2017 12:33 PM
  • Yes it does work, but it is a PAIN to set up, I had various wodoo problems and still computers fall out from sync (mostly after feature updates or cumulative updates). It looks like Microsoft gave up on this, the console looks like from server 2003. The main problem is it does not allow long term storage on disk. We gave up on tapes when Microsoft  stopped supporting them in svr 2012, now the support is back but we have disk storage but we can not use it with dpm...
    Tuesday, September 19, 2017 6:36 AM