none
SQL Server License Requirement for DPM 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• If DPM 2010 installs SQL Server locally (as part of the DPM server installation) do I still need a license for SQL Server after the DPM evaluation expires?
    Sunday, March 6, 2011 6:34 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Both DPM and SQL will expire and it makes getting DPM re-installed more dificult once it does expire.   The SQL server that DPM installs does not require a seperate license because it can only be used for DPM.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by dan adams Wednesday, March 9, 2011 6:40 PM
    Monday, March 7, 2011 5:50 PM
  • Hi,

Since you are running Eval, the licensing portion of DPM is disabled.  If / when you decide to purchase DPM, the upgrade will install a NEW non-timebombed Instance of SQL and enable the DPM licensing code.  At that point, you can un-install the MSDDPM2010EVAL instance then download and run this utility to prevent the SQL management tools from expiring. 

SQL Edition Upgrade for Data protection Manager 2010 (DPM) Instance
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=0bb36454-50eb-42ed-b06b-c2e4cf03b69c  

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by dan adams Wednesday, March 9, 2011 6:41 PM
    Monday, March 7, 2011 6:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Both DPM and SQL will expire and it makes getting DPM re-installed more dificult once it does expire.   The SQL server that DPM installs does not require a seperate license because it can only be used for DPM.

• Marked as answer by dan adams Wednesday, March 9, 2011 6:40 PM
    Monday, March 7, 2011 5:50 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, Mike. Can the evaluation version be licensed before the eval expires?  I assume DPM 2010 licensing just requires the purchase of client/server MLs?  Right now the license "Update" button in my DPM 2010 eval installation is grayed out.   I still have plenty of eval time left.

Monday, March 7, 2011 6:06 PM
  • Hi,

Since you are running Eval, the licensing portion of DPM is disabled.  If / when you decide to purchase DPM, the upgrade will install a NEW non-timebombed Instance of SQL and enable the DPM licensing code.  At that point, you can un-install the MSDDPM2010EVAL instance then download and run this utility to prevent the SQL management tools from expiring. 

SQL Edition Upgrade for Data protection Manager 2010 (DPM) Instance
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=0bb36454-50eb-42ed-b06b-c2e4cf03b69c  

• Marked as answer by dan adams Wednesday, March 9, 2011 6:41 PM
    Monday, March 7, 2011 6:19 PM