Powershell DSC - Single or Multiple MOF Files? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm struggling a bit with a concept...

I have 'groups' of servers that I would like to 'configure'

I don't know the names, of them - and I don't care about the names of them. They are in specific OUs.

So say, for instance, I want to configure all servers within a 'Web Servers' OU to have IIS, I really only want to use one MOF file to configure all the machines in this OU - as I want them to have the same configuration and be consistent. However, it seems from reading about DSC, that after my configuration, I then need to generate a MOF file and Checksum file for each node... is this correct? Or can I configure these nodes to each pull the same config from the same mof file?

Thanks

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 11:00 AM

Answers

All replies

• Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Thursday, February 11, 2016 5:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Yan Li_ Monday, February 22, 2016 3:13 AM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2016 11:16 AM
  • That still indicates that it will 'Build out ALL of your MOF files'

So my question still stands...

If I have multiple (Lets say 3000) servers that require exactly the same configuration, do I need 3000 MOF files AND 3000 checksum files?

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 11:25 AM
  • Don't worry. They are very small files.

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 11:53 AM
  • It's not really about the size of the files, its the fact that there will be 3000 individual files.

If I want to change the configuration, then I need to edit 3000 files rather than one, or recreate 3000 files.

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 12:10 PM
  • Apparently you didn't read the whole article. THe whole point was on config to edit and then just regenerate all of the mofs. It was why the article was written.

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 12:13 PM
  • Yes... 3000 MOFs will be generated with its Checksums.. If you have any changes in config file, then edit and complie it again so that all 3000 MOFs will be recreated (with new changes) with its checksums. 
    Thursday, March 9, 2017 9:47 AM