Microsoft Office 2013 is not working on Windows 8 RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded Microsoft office 2 days ago.  Since then Window 8.1 update has basically attempted to ruin my life.  Since I attempted to download the update (which will not download properly no matter how many times I try) Microsoft office will not open on my computer.  All the apps are still there. But they simply will not open. I have tried going to the start and typing the stuff in safe mode, still nothing happens! Can someone please help me? I am beyond frustrated with my brand new computer, Windows 8.1, Microsoft, and everything about this situation.

Friday, January 17, 2014 3:33 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Did only the Office suits not open or all the apps after you upgrading to Windows 8.1? Please do the following tests to narrow down the issue:

First test:

• If only the Office suits could not be opened, please go to Office 2013 installed folder, such as C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15 and double click apps to open them.
    • If all the apps could not be opened, please press win+R and copy the path: %windir%\explorer.exe shell:::{4234d49b-0245-4df3-b780-3893943456e1} to Windows 8 app folder double click apps to open them.

If they are both opened in folder, please try to unpin and repin apps on start screen.

If they still do not work, do the second test.

Second test:

If only the Office suits could not be opened, please try to re-install the Office 2013 to test.

If all the apps could not be opened, Please follow these steps to check the issue.

Step 1: Try App troubleshooter:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/4/F24D0C03-4181-4E5B-A23B-5C3A6B5974E3/apps.diagcab

Step 2: Re-register app files:

Run the following in a Command Window (CMD) to re-register the Store App:

powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.XML

For your reference:

Fix Store App in Windows 8.1 (AppxManifest.XML)

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/notime/archive/2013/10/18/fix-store-app-in-windows-8-1.aspx

Step 3: If the issue still persists, please try to log on with local account and re-bind your Microsoft account in Windows Store to see what’s going on.

Hope these could be helpful.

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by George123345 Monday, January 27, 2014 6:54 AM
    Monday, January 20, 2014 2:38 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Did only the Office suits not open or all the apps after you upgrading to Windows 8.1? Please do the following tests to narrow down the issue:

First test:

• If only the Office suits could not be opened, please go to Office 2013 installed folder, such as C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15 and double click apps to open them.
    • If all the apps could not be opened, please press win+R and copy the path: %windir%\explorer.exe shell:::{4234d49b-0245-4df3-b780-3893943456e1} to Windows 8 app folder double click apps to open them.

If they are both opened in folder, please try to unpin and repin apps on start screen.

If they still do not work, do the second test.

Second test:

If only the Office suits could not be opened, please try to re-install the Office 2013 to test.

If all the apps could not be opened, Please follow these steps to check the issue.

Step 1: Try App troubleshooter:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/4/F24D0C03-4181-4E5B-A23B-5C3A6B5974E3/apps.diagcab

Step 2: Re-register app files:

Run the following in a Command Window (CMD) to re-register the Store App:

powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.XML

For your reference:

Fix Store App in Windows 8.1 (AppxManifest.XML)

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/notime/archive/2013/10/18/fix-store-app-in-windows-8-1.aspx

Step 3: If the issue still persists, please try to log on with local account and re-bind your Microsoft account in Windows Store to see what’s going on.

Hope these could be helpful.

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by George123345 Monday, January 27, 2014 6:54 AM
    Monday, January 20, 2014 2:38 AM
  • I have the same exact problem.  I attempted to follow the instructions above, but when I get into Office15 everything there opens successfully.  I don't know what "unpin and repin apps" means.  Also, I don't know how to reinstall anything because it came on my computer (which is less than 6 months old).  And I'm afraid of losing important data that I have in both Excel and Word.
    Friday, November 21, 2014 2:17 AM