Skype for Business Mac Client doesn't automatically update status based on Exchange calendar RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

The Skype for Business Mac client isn't updating the status based on the user's free/busy information from the Exchange calendar. Normally, when a user has a meeting or some "busy" time schedule in the Exchange calendar, the Skype for Business client will automatically change the status to "Busy". That isn't happening any longer for any of our users. Skype for Business keeps the status as "Available". Users grumble about that, because their co-workers chat them during meetings.

We think this used to work in Skype for Business on the Mac. It did with the old Lync client. We're using the latest Skype for Business client on Office 365.

Is anybody else seeing this issue?

Steve

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 4:52 PM

All replies

• Hello Steve, 

Which CU update you have in  your client. There seem to be some known issues but they are also addressed in this  forum with some work arounds, could you  go through this and see  if you could fix the  issue that we have here

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Known-issues-Skype-for-Business-on-Mac-494ac5d5-50be-4aa7-8f5a-669c71c98c9a

Linus || Please mark posts as answers/helpful if it answers your question.

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Wednesday, January 25, 2017 6:42 AM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2017 5:50 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestions. We tried them out, and still have the same issue.

We did some further troubleshooting, and found some interesting results. We are running Office 365, so the backend servers are all managed by Microsoft. We assume they have them up to date and configured correctly! :-)

We know that free/busy status does not work on the Mac Skype for Business client. It also does not work for us when we use the Skype for Business capability integrated into the Outlook Web Client that is available for Office 365. A user can in the middle of a scheduled meeting, but the web client does not automatically switch the user to busy.

The free/busy status works correctly on the Windows Skype for Business client. If the user launches the Windows version of Skype for Business, the free/busy status in Skype for Business will update correctly across all platforms. Both the Mac client and the Web client will show a user as "Busy" when they are in the middle of a scheduled meeting. As soon as the Windows Skype for Business client is closed, the status for the Mac client and the Web client go back to "Available", even though the meeting is still in progress.

Our users find this troublesome, because they get interrupted in the middle of the meetings.

If only the Mac client worked as well as the Windows Skype for Business client.

Steve

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 11:05 PM
  • According to the known issues it doesn't work yet ... sigh :-(

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Known-issues-Skype-for-Business-on-Mac-494ac5d5-50be-4aa7-8f5a-669c71c98c9a

Presence not automatically updated to “In Meeting” based on Outlook calendar

The automatic presence update based on Outlook calendar feature is not supported yet. This will be addressed in the future update for Skype for Business on Mac.

Friday, March 24, 2017 2:41 PM
  • I do not see that listed on that page anymore. This feature is still broken however.
    Thursday, June 29, 2017 12:17 PM
  • I agree it doesnt work so well in my Mac too, its running latest OS 10.13.6

And the latest version of Skype for Business 16.20.90

A lot of time user if offline but SKype for Business shows it online and when i msg them, i get response on the chat window "We couldn't send this message: 'XXXXX'"

Saturday, August 18, 2018 3:33 PM