none
WPAD location in Windows 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• We are retiring our TMG server for internet proxy.  Currently we use WPAD with DHCP option 252 and it has been working well.  However we want to slowly transition over to the new system which does not use proxy.  I have removed the DHCP option for group however they are still going through our proxy server instead of just using the default route for HTTP and HTTPS traffic. 

For Windows 7 I've created a script and that seems to work on removing wpad but it does not work in Windows 8.1 mainily because I seem to not find the location of the wpad.dat file.  Doea anyone know where IE places the file?

Thanks!

Thursday, September 25, 2014 2:52 PM

Answers

• After further research and running process monitor I found that Windows 8 was reading a key in the registery in the location of HKU\S-1-5-19\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Wpad.

Once we deleted the Wpad key the workstations no longer went through the old proxy server. 

• Marked as answer by BTIT4 Wednesday, October 8, 2014 12:52 PM
    Wednesday, October 8, 2014 12:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Generally speaking, wpad.dat file locate at WPAD server, such as: http://computer_name:port/wspad.dat

However, this file also would cached in Internet Explorer temporary file. You can try to delete IE temporary file for test.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Yolanda ZhuModerator Tuesday, October 7, 2014 9:50 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by BTIT4 Wednesday, October 8, 2014 12:43 PM
    Friday, September 26, 2014 8:26 AM
  • Does anyone know where IE places the file?

This may be helpful:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/archive/2013/10/11/web-proxy-configuration-and-ie11-changes.aspx

Tech_Fiend   5 Feb 2014 5:18 PM

Do you know if IE (or any other browsers for that matter) downloads the PAC file to the local machine?  If so, do you know is it located? OS: Win7 64bit / IE9 or WinXP / IE8

[EricLaw] Your best bet is to watch file writes using SysInternals' Process Monitor, because the behavior will vary by OS and by the browser version installed.
    On Windows 8.1 with IE11, the "WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service" running inside a SVCHost.exe instance will download and cache the PAC file to a rudimentary cache: the file is written to a randomly-named *.cache file inside the c:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\winhttp folder.
    In IE8 on Windows XP, I see the PAC file getting cached to %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\random\proxy[2].pac.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Marked as answer by Yolanda ZhuModerator Tuesday, October 7, 2014 9:50 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by BTIT4 Wednesday, October 8, 2014 12:49 PM
    Friday, September 26, 2014 10:08 AM
  • After further research and running process monitor I found that Windows 8 was reading a key in the registery in the location of HKU\S-1-5-19\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Wpad.

Once we deleted the Wpad key the workstations no longer went through the old proxy server. 

• Marked as answer by BTIT4 Wednesday, October 8, 2014 12:52 PM
    Wednesday, October 8, 2014 12:52 PM
  • Really surprised this isn't a more widespread issue, but this has been causing me a MASSIVE headache for weeks. multiple subnets with only one scope specifying dhcp option 252, and I couldn't get my head around why the client was still picking up the proxy despite no longer recieving the option.

It looks like some kind of registry bug or permissions issue that doesn't remove the Wpad URL string when connecting to a different network.

Thank you random internet stranger!

Tuesday, April 9, 2019 11:18 AM