none
Deleting Project 2010 Views from EGT and View Bar RRS feed

• Question

• I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this issue or if I am doing something wrong?  I've been using MS Project and Project Server since 2002.  We always create custom views and remove/add views to the View Bar in the client.  However, with 2010, we are finding it impossible to delete and/or remove views - either they are unavailable for deletion - even if we are not currently on that view  i.e. I'm on the Resource Sheet view and I'm trying to delete a custom view titled "Task Tracking,' in the Organizer.   This is one issue.

Another issue is the View Bar - when I remove a view from the View Bar, it always re-appears.  It reappears, as well as several other out-of-the-box views, such as the Network Diagram, Task Form, etc. on the View Bar.  I even remove them from the local global and the Project templates and they STILL re-appear.

As far as truly deleting a view, even when I do happen to delete a view permanently from the Organizer, it will still reappear in the View Tab on the Ribbon. Again, even when I remove it from my local global and/or the project template, it's still there.

I never create new views directly in the EGT, I always create them locally and copy through the organizer.  I just have never had so many issues with Views.

Can someone please help!? 

Much thanks!

Thursday, August 5, 2010 9:32 PM

Answers

• michthom2522 --

I think it goes without saying that if you want to delete enterprise views, you must open the Enterprise Global file first and then use the Organizer dialog to delete the view, along with any custom table, filter, or group you created and included in the view.  You are doing the deleting this way, yes?  And when you delete, are you deleting enterprise views that you added to the Enterprise Global file, or are you deleting local views you created and copied to your local Global file?  Let us know on this one.

If you are trying to delete local views, I would begin the process by launching Microsoft Project 2010 and NOT connecting to Project Server 2010.  Instead, launch the software in Desktop only (Computer) mode.  Then trying using the Organizer to delete the custom view (and/or custom table, filter, and group as well).  Then close the Organizer dialog and then exit Microsoft Project 2010 so that the software will save the latest changes to your local Global.mpt file.

Let us know whether any of this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Friday, August 6, 2010 12:16 AM
  • The View  Bar thing is a known bug in 2010.  Custom views keep popping back on the menu whether or not the checkbox is selected.  It happens the minute you actually navigate to that view.

Friday, August 6, 2010 1:52 PM

All replies

• michthom2522 --

I think it goes without saying that if you want to delete enterprise views, you must open the Enterprise Global file first and then use the Organizer dialog to delete the view, along with any custom table, filter, or group you created and included in the view.  You are doing the deleting this way, yes?  And when you delete, are you deleting enterprise views that you added to the Enterprise Global file, or are you deleting local views you created and copied to your local Global file?  Let us know on this one.

If you are trying to delete local views, I would begin the process by launching Microsoft Project 2010 and NOT connecting to Project Server 2010.  Instead, launch the software in Desktop only (Computer) mode.  Then trying using the Organizer to delete the custom view (and/or custom table, filter, and group as well).  Then close the Organizer dialog and then exit Microsoft Project 2010 so that the software will save the latest changes to your local Global.mpt file.

Let us know whether any of this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Friday, August 6, 2010 12:16 AM
  • Hi Dale:

Thanks for the response!   I am doing both steps as you describe above.  The issue is that when I try to delete ANY custom table, filter, group or View through the Organizer when I am in the EGT, it will not let me.  I am not on that View, not using that Filter, Group or Table, but it still will not let me.  Our global is now littered with Views that we cannot delete.

As far as the View Bar, I have found that no matter what I do, it continues to add Views back to the View Bar, regardless of how we set it.  Have you seen this behavior?  Do you know if this is a bug?

Thanks much, Dale!

Friday, August 6, 2010 1:24 PM
  • The View  Bar thing is a known bug in 2010.  Custom views keep popping back on the menu whether or not the checkbox is selected.  It happens the minute you actually navigate to that view.

Friday, August 6, 2010 1:52 PM
  • Hello michthom2522,

Dit you ever find a solution for this problems? At this point in time, with April CU's installed, those problems doesn't seem to be solved.

1. In the organiser, the buttons to "Copy", "Rename" and "Delete" are disabled in case you select a view of this kind (views in global (+non-cached Enterprise)). So it is not possible to remove those views.
    2. The "Show In Menu" checkbox for views is not working "most of the time"?!?

I hope you, or somebody else, can help me...

Regards
    Wim

Friday, May 13, 2011 2:40 PM
  • Is this issue being fixed in SP1. I am in the same boat as Wim. Its very frustrating to see the clutter on the view bar and not be able to do anything with it. Can someone confirm if this is in SP1 scheduled for June 2011.

Tx. Venu.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 8:58 PM
  • Hi Venu,

The only message I got until now is that this behaviour is a bug...

And a lot of CU's passed by since the first time I saw it :(!!

Anyhow, I don't need to wait for the solution because I am used to hide all the views via VBA macro's and show only the views I need, dependent on the values of certain enterprise fields! In case I manupulate the "show in menu" flag via VBA, it works as expected!

Regards

Wim

PS: do you know how to turn a thread like this as a questiion again? I don't think others will find your SP1 question as it looks now... 

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 9:38 PM
  • I am having the same problem with the inability to delete views and hide views.  I have applied the Aug CU, but not Oct yet.  Does anyone know if this is fixed in the Oct CUs?
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 5:54 PM
  • I figured it out and was able to fix the problem.  See this link:  http://www.projectserverexperts.com/ProjectServerFAQKnowledgeBase/cantoverwriteobject.aspx

I deleted the items I created, then rebuilt everything from scratch, ensuring I only made copies of the original tables and views and didn't actually edit the default tables and views.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 10:27 PM