Clean up unnecessary space RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I am to clean up unnecessary space of Exchange 2010 as the Win 2008 server has only 2.5 Gb left. But I get this now.

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore>eseutil /MH DataStore.edb

Extensible Storage Engine Utilities for Microsoft(R) Exchange Server
    Version 14.01
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Initiating FILE DUMP mode...
    Error: Access to source database 'DataStore.edb' failed with Jet error -1032.

Operation terminated with error -1032 (JET_errFileAccessDenied, Cannot access file, the file is locked or in use) after 0.31 seconds.

Many Thanks & Best Regards, Hua Min

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 3:56 AM

All replies

• Why are you doing that?

The best way to do what you want is to create a new database, move all the mailboxes to it from the database you think has too much wasted space, and then remove the old database.  If you don't have enough space to do that, you certainly don't have enough space to do an ESEUTIL /D, which is the command you'd use to compact the database.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 5:40 AM

• The best way to do what you want is to create a new database, move all the mailboxes to it from the database you think has too much wasted space, and then remove the old database.  

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Can I have the procedure of doing this?

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:16 AM
  • 1. Create new mailbox database.

2. Move all mailboxes from the "too big" database to the new one.

3.  Remove "too big" mailbox database.

Run backups or enable circular logging if you don't have enough space for all the log files associated with the new database.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:27 AM
  • 1. Create new mailbox database.

Do you mean to recreate the relevant Mailbox or not?

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:57 AM
  • I don't know what you mean by "relevant Mailbox" since no mention has been made in this thread of any mailbox.

Thursday, April 17, 2014 12:00 AM
  • Hello,

When your database is online and mounted, you will not be able to perform any actions with Eseutil.exe. So you need to dismount your database.

It is not recommended that using eseutil.exe if there is no enough disk space. We recommend you do full backup for your database on schedule to release some disk space. 

You can use Windows Server Backup to back up your exchange server, or use Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager, or a third-party Exchange-aware VSS-based application.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Cara Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, April 17, 2014 2:39 AM
  • I don't know what you mean by "relevant Mailbox" since no mention has been made in this thread of any mailbox.

Any details to create "new mailbox database"?

Thursday, April 17, 2014 2:53 AM
  • New-MailboxDatabase

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997976(v=exchg.141).aspx

Thursday, April 17, 2014 4:00 AM
  • Hello,

Is there any update?

Cara Chen

Monday, April 21, 2014 2:06 AM
  • New-MailboxDatabase

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997976(v=exchg.141).aspx

Thanks. I am using Administrator account. Do you think I can still have a New Mailboxdatabase for that?

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 9:30 AM
  • Hello,

Did you try my suggestions?

Before you run New-MailboxDatabase cmdlet, you need to be a member of  "organization management role group"  and "server management role group" . You can use get-rolegroupmember "organization management" cmdlet and get-rolegroupmember "server management" cmdlet to check if you have been a member of these role groups.

If you aren't a member of these role groups, please use add-rolegroupmember cmdlet add your account to these group.

Cara Chen

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 6:53 AM
  • Hello,

Is there any update?

Cara Chen

Friday, April 25, 2014 3:58 AM
  • Hello,

Did you try my suggestions?

Before you run New-MailboxDatabase cmdlet, you need to be a member of  "organization management role group"  and "server management role group" . 

Sorry for late response. Where to run cmdlet within Win 2008 server?

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 8:21 AM
  • Exchange Management Shell.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 2:47 PM
  • Sorry, I get this

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>cmdlet
    The term 'cmdlet' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spel
    ling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
    At line:1 char:7
    + cmdlet <<<<
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (cmdlet:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

within Exchange management console.

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 1:40 AM
  • Hello,

I mean you can run "New-MailboxDatabase" cmdlet in EMS. Do you refer to the above link on the cmdlet "New-MailboxDatabse"?

Or you can do full backup for your exchange server as my above suggestions.

Cara Chen

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 6:13 AM
  • Thanks. 
    Is it to run this

New-MailboxDatabase -Name "MailboxDatabase01" -EdbFilePath D:\DatabaseFiles\MailboxDatabase01.edb

within Exchange management console?

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 6:30 AM
  • Hello,

You can run the above cmdlet within Exchange management shell, not Exchange management console. you can add server parameter and LogFolderPath parameter when run New-MailboxDatabase cmdlet.

Cara Chen

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 6:47 AM
  • Hi,
    I am not sure about the syntax of doing that. Is it to put the relevant ".edb" file that is from the current server, like this?

New-MailboxDatabase -Name "MailboxDatabase01" -EdbFilePath D:\DatabaseFiles\MailboxDatabase01.edb

Saturday, May 3, 2014 8:36 AM
  • Seriously, you need to get some Exchange training.  I recommend that you take an administrator class and/or buy a good book.

This is a good one, and there are others.

http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Microsoft-Exchange-Server-2010-ebook/dp/B004HD699C/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1399143236&sr=1-4&keywords=jim+mcbee

Saturday, May 3, 2014 6:54 PM
  • Can you please advise what I should adjust below?

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>New-MailboxDatabase -Name "MailboxDatabase03" -EdbFilePath "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange
     Server\V14\Mailbox\Mailbox Database 0879488102\Mailbox Database 0879488102.edb"

cmdlet New-MailboxDatabase at command pipeline position 1
    Supply values for the following parameters:
    Server: WIN-BVDIC8GIAHI.win08.huamin.com
    The specified .edb file path ('C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Mailbox\Mailbox Database 0879488102\Mailb
    ox Database 0879488102.edb') is already in use by another database on the server. Please specify a different .edb file
    path.
    Parameter name: EdbFilePath
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (MailboxDatabase03:ADObjectId) [New-MailboxDatabase], ArgumentException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : 78602C6B,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.SystemConfigurationTasks.NewMailboxDatabase

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 2:13 AM
  • Put the file path in quotes.  Be sure that's where you want the file to go.  Most don't keep their databases on the C: drive.

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 2:25 AM
  • Many thanks. I did put some unnecessary details a while ago, in above. I have already quoted the full path above. Can you please advise?

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 2:34 AM
  • Did you read the error message?

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 3:03 AM
  • Hello,

You should not put the relevant ".edb" file that is from the current database. You should specify a new .edb file path.

Cara Chen

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 6:12 AM
  • Hi all,

I don't know what to input next, in the following?

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>New-MailboxDatabase -Name "MailboxDatabase03" -E"C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14 \Mailbox\Mailbox3" "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Mailbox\Mailbox Database 0879488102\Mailbox Database 0879488102.edb" >> >> >>

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 6:20 AM
  • Seriously, take a class and/or read a book.  You do not have the necessary skill set to run Exchange.  You cannot expect the TechNet Forums to guide you in each and every step you must follow in your daily duties.

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 6:44 PM
  • I was just stuck with the problem to such parameter 

"-EdbFilePath" 

when running

New-MailboxDatabase

Can any other people please help?

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 9:00 AM
  • http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=New-MailboxDatabase+EdbFilePath

Friday, May 9, 2014 12:23 AM