Does not clear 2nd partition RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

Last night I installed Steady State without any problems.

My system has a 30G boot partition (C: ) with XP (all updates) and a 10G data partition (D: ) that is blank.  Both partitions were created as "primary" with NTFS.

The purpose of these computers is for students to use in a library situation.  I created the second partition as a kind of temporary storage for the students.  In the mostly locked down student profile, I have given access to this partiton.  My hope was that this partition would be cleared every time the system reboots.  This way I wouldn't have to babysit the systems too much

I have the disk protection ON and it is set to "Remove all changes at restart." 

So I logged into the student profile, created a folder on the second partition and copied a file to it.  Then I rebooted the system and the folder was still there.  It had not been removed.  (Yes, when it asked, I told it to remove all changes at restart.)  

I logged into the Administrator profile and copied that same folder and file from the second partition to the c: drive.

Once again I rebooted the system.  This time the file was not there after the reboot.  (Of course, the original file/folder was still on the D: drive.)

So....does disk protection only work for the boot partition?  If I were to make the second partition an extended partition with a logical drive rather than a primary partiton, would this solve the problem?

Oh....one last thing:  Different subject...  When I came in this morning the system said "Needs to shut down for 10 minutes to perform upgrades."  So when I logged into administrator, it shut down.   "Shared computer toolkit" never did this?  Again, I am trying to keep from having to babysit these systems.  Is there a way to tell it to go ahead and reboot rather than prompting me?

Thanks in advance!

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 1:28 PM

Answers

•  

Hi, I'd like to inform you that Windows Disk Protection only monitor system partition and it does not apply the setting on other partition. That is to say if you install Windows on partition C, WDP does not apply on D. Also, this upgrade information seems to be related to Windows system instead of Windows SteadyState.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 6:48 AM

All replies

•  

Hi, I'd like to inform you that Windows Disk Protection only monitor system partition and it does not apply the setting on other partition. That is to say if you install Windows on partition C, WDP does not apply on D. Also, this upgrade information seems to be related to Windows system instead of Windows SteadyState.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 6:48 AM
  • Thanks Sean

I guess it was a little confusing because when you log into the protected profile a big warning comes up that say that everything will be deleted.

By the way, is there a way to stop that message from coming up?  It seems that the library users refuse to read and they think that something is wrong with the computer.   Yes, I see the irony of a peron in a library refusing to read.  Smile

Regarding the update:  I did not see any settings anywhere that would tell it to automatically reboot.  I did see a few registry hacks on the internet that tell it NOT to automatically reboot.

As it is now, I have to come in early and let all the systems restart.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 10:59 PM
  •  

Yes, we can disable the warning message by using either way below:

1.       Disable bubble.exe in Startup items in Start – Run – msconfig

2.       Launch Windows SteadyState, add bubble.exe to blocked programs for certain user.

Based on our customers' feedback, the second method is better for most of them.  

Hope this helps!

Friday, August 29, 2008 2:41 AM