no boot manager for multi boot RRS feed

• Question

• ok i have a raid 0 pc setup. it has xp on one partition, then i installed vista on other. but it didnt put a boot manager. so when i start da pc it just does straight 2 vista. the other windows is still there just cant get 2 it. help!
    Wednesday, June 14, 2006 1:25 AM

Answers

All replies

• Many people have been having problems with Vista and a RAID setup.  As to your current problem, check to see if XP is still in the bootloader.  It might be there, but the time-out value might be too quick to catch it.  Microsoft has a help page on BCDEDIT which is what Vista uses instead of boot.ini.
    Check out their tutorial at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/library/85cd5efe-c349-427c-b035-c2719d4af778.mspx
    Wednesday, June 14, 2006 9:44 PM
  • ok i set up da multiboot with bcdedit. i have da legacy os as default (ntldr). it has the path set as \ntldr, but there is no such path in my win xp partition. should i b pointing 2 a different folder? maybe in \windows\system or something?

also, do i need to point 2 da d: partition where my win xp is located using device or osdevice commands?

Saturday, June 17, 2006 1:20 PM
  •  

for more information on BCEDIT you can go throught the article KB919529

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;es;919529.

Bala

Sunday, June 18, 2006 1:57 PM
  • that was perfect. thank u

Sunday, June 18, 2006 11:27 PM
  •  Sribala wrote:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;es;919529

Bala

I am having a nightmare of dual booting here, i.e., not being able to boot vista beta2 from a P-III (with 768MB RAM, 800 MHz) that has a XP Pro installed on its "C" drive earlier. I installed the beta2 on the "D" drive (primary, NTFS). While booting to Vista it gives me the "\windows\system32\winload.exe is missing 0XC000000E" error. I tried the above solution from the microsoft site and it is still the same error. Not sure what is going on. Probably need to reinstall Vista formating the D: drive. By the way I used virtual drive "K" where my Beta2.iso file is mounted with alcohol. I pointed this drive for the following command line edition:

K:\boot\ Bootsect.exe –NT60 All

Any suggestions?

Monday, June 19, 2006 6:50 PM
  • Hi,

I think you can try repair option

Boot off the Vista DVD.

When you reach the “Install Now” screen, choose the “Repair problems with
    Windows Vista” option.

Choose “Startup Repair” and it should fix problems with the startup environment
    if they can be fixed.

Restart the system once “Startup Repair” completes to see if you’re able to boot
    properly.

Bala

Monday, June 19, 2006 8:07 PM
  • Thanks for your reply. Yes, I tried that route earlier and again yesterday, however, still the same. Hence I formatted the drive (H:) and tried to reinstall Vista to see if there's any luck and yet a no go :-(. The same error message popped up (with the "stratup repair" I see this error under the details: no boot manager for multi boot.) There was couple of things I could imagine be a part of this failure: (i) while installing there was a message saying "Device with missing driver: NERO SCSI Controller", and (ii) the Partition Magic software which was used to create the H: drive was uninstalled in the process of recovering the contents of my E: drive that I lost after the disk was partitioned.

I was able to format the H: drive in order to install Vista again without doing any harm to my older XP partition on the C: drive.

Now that I have disabled the Nero image loader, I would like to see if that would do any good. I installed the Partition Magic again and prepared a couple of recovery disketts in case things go wrong. Will try using the PM boot manager to see if that makes a difference.

Let me know if any of these could have contributed in the disaster and anything I can do to get Vista running.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 1:11 PM
  •  Sribala wrote:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;es;919529.

Bala

Yes, that was perfect! Now I have my boot manager back.

Thursday, July 6, 2006 3:14 PM