none
Windows SteadyState 2.5 Timer Issues RRS feed

• Question

• I recently installed Windows SteadyState on a computer, running Windows Xp, and it's been working great. However, recently, the timer has stopped working. When the computer is restarted and the user is logged into the protected account, the timer will work fine. If they log out then back in however, the timer will have disappeared and they will be allowed to use the computer as long as they like. This problem has been consistent, and it's something that needs to be fixed. I have limited knowledge of the program itself, so I can't really try anything specific to the program. I've tried putting a shortcut to the timer in the startup folder and everything just to see if it never loaded up, but that has yet to work.

Running SCTUINotify.exe manually DOES bring up the timer, and the time continues as if it was running the whole time, but if the user never starts the timer manually, then they can exceed their time without interruption.

Monday, June 14, 2010 5:04 PM

Answers

• Hi Zenharu, have you tried turn off the timer, restart the computer and re-enable it to see the result?
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 3:08 AM

All replies

• This problem is still persisting, and it's quite important that it's fixed.

I've tried creating a Windows Task, I've tried putting a shortcut into the Start-up folder, I've tried everything I can think of to force the timer to run, but nothing works.

Interestingly enough, the Windows Task gave me the following error when it tried to run the program: "Could not start." The question is, is this a problem with SCTUINotify.exe? Or with the Windows Tasks?

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 2:28 PM
  • Hi Zenharu, have you tried turn off the timer, restart the computer and re-enable it to see the result?
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 3:08 AM
  • I'm having a similar problem, but only sporadically. The timer appears on initial login then crashes at some point during the session. I haven't been able to observe the crash, I've only seen the results (when a patron is not logged out automatically). The problem occurs at least once a day on one of the eight computers here.

(The program is perfect aside from this!)

Friday, June 18, 2010 3:14 PM