none
Project files saved in a version earlier than Microsoft Project 98 cant be opened - yet I am using MSP 2010 Pro RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having the following issue with MSP 2010 Pro:

The file "2010Q4" cannot be opened.

• Check that the filename and path are correct.
    • Check that the file format is recognized by Project.

Project files saved in a version earlier than Microsoft Project 98 cant be opened.

Obviously, I'm not using a version older than MSP 98. I'm using MSP 2010 Pro.

A corrupted version of the file gets saved. It's unopenable and is much smaller than the original. For example, a 6 Mb file becomes 350 Kb.

A number of folks at my organization are experiencing the same issue. We share files back and forth. It happens most often when an .mpp file is opened from Outlook (as opposed to "save attachment as").

I use the latest MS-Office patches and updates, including those for MS-Project 2010 Professional.

J Bucknoff, PMP, MBA
    Monday, September 19, 2011 2:23 PM

Answers

All replies

• What happens if you try to open them in 2003 or 2007, then resave to the
    latest format available....then reopen in 2010?

What version are these files originally in?

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Monday, September 19, 2011 2:59 PM
  • I take it someone in your organization is using an older version of project are they?  These types of problems usually relate to switching between versions.  The folks with older versions also need to apply the fixes and, if you are swapping between versions, I find it safer to stick to auto scheduling only in all plans.

Cheers,

Tom.

Monday, September 19, 2011 3:03 PM
  • Tuesday, September 20, 2011 9:03 AM
  • All, 

I have this message using MS Project 2007 Pro. This message appears only when I want to save projects.

We use several projects at my organization (differents size and different level of complexity), all with MS Project 2007 only. (no server / no sub-projects)

For some reasons, We have this message on some projects, we have no idea why its occurs. We used some older version, even try to rebuild one from an XML export but after a while this is coming again.

Saving in 2003 in order to go back to 2007 is not an acceptable answer (we'll lose some data from customized text fieds)

No one use Project 2003 / 2010 or any others versions of MS Project in our side.

Is uninstall and re-install again Ms Project sounds consistent ?

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 3:03 PM
  • Nicolas,

Does everyone in your organization has SP3 installed for Project 2007? If not, then it must be installed to get the best stability.

John

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 3:14 PM
  • Thanks John.

Yes, we do use XP 2002 SP3. We all have exactly the same configuration set by I.T in our organization.

However, I use one desktop (connected to internal server) + one laptop (not connected) , both using XP 2002 SP3 + Office 2007.

It's relevant that we have (not yet) notice any trouble on our laptop (even if one project is corrupted, it is corrupted on both computer). Do you think that our desktop environment might be the root cause of our issue?

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 4:46 PM
  • Nicolas,

Not the question I asked. Is Project 2007 updated with SP3? Updating Windows and/or Office does NOT update Project.

John

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 5:01 PM
  • John. I check and Yes, Project 2007 is updated with SP3. 
    Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:40 PM
  • Nicolas,

The fact that your desktop is connected to a server and your laptop is not AND that you first experience the problem on the desktop and not on the laptop AND that the problem occurs when saving, I suspect there is a glitch in your server network that after a period of time causes the file to become corrupt. The solution is to always save a copy to your local drive first and then to the server if you must. That way, if the server version gets corrupt, you will have the local version to work with.

John 

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 3:22 PM
  • John,

Well, when we work on our laptop and then coming back to our desktop, we save data always first on our local drive. We just upload one or two times per weeks data from local drive to the network to share data with teams. 

You are right, this issue happens when saving but I suspect that when data are recalculated (application.CalculateProject), project corrupts more often. 

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 4:14 PM