How do you Move the Contents of a Site to a New Site which uses a Different Template RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

MOSS 2007: 

I am trying to move the contents of a Sharepoint 2007 site to another site on the same server/same database but the new site uses a different template.

So I created a new site using out-of-the-box template then used stsadm -o export and import to try and move the data.  The export was fine, but when I tried to import to the new site I got the following error:

Cannot import site. The exported site is based on the template CMSPUBLISHING#0 but the destination site is based on the template STS#0. You can import sites only into sites that are based on same template as the exported site.

I cannot use the old template so  how do I move my data across?

Thanks & regards

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, June 16, 2011 5:23 AM MOSS 2007 not needed in Title as default here
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 9:41 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Follow these steps:

1. Create a site in the destination site location somewhere using the same template as the source site.

2. Use manage content and structure and copy lists/libraries from this site created to the destination site.

I hope this will surely help you out. Try it and do let us know.

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

• Marked as answer by StBernards Tuesday, June 28, 2011 4:25 PM
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, June 28, 2011 7:11 PM Let US know - these are forums NOT private conversations
    Monday, June 27, 2011 11:53 PM

All replies

• Hi StBernards,

To my knowledge, it’s not feasible to move a site to a new site if their templates are different. After a lot of search, it seems that the best way to accomplish this progress is to create a new site using the original template and then do the import on top of it.

Thanks & Regards,

Peng Lei

• Marked as answer by David HM Wednesday, June 22, 2011 3:14 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by StBernards Monday, June 27, 2011 7:57 AM
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 5:05 AM
  • Hi,

I'm afraid this process is not possible for me.  The template used for the exported site (CMSPUBLISHING#0) is not compatible with the next version of the software.

What I was trying to achieve was to move the data to a newly created template in MOSS 2007 ahead of our migration.  Do you know how I can achieve this?  Is there another way?

Thanks & regards

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, June 27, 2011 11:22 AM Do not refer to SP 2010 in pre-SP 2010 forums. Enough left ("next version" to make reason clear.
    Monday, June 27, 2011 8:24 AM
  • there will be specific features which publishing portal provides might not be applicable in other type of site at all. practically its not possible to move content of one site type to another site type.
    ullasjoshi
    Monday, June 27, 2011 11:12 PM
  • Hi,

Follow these steps:

1. Create a site in the destination site location somewhere using the same template as the source site.

2. Use manage content and structure and copy lists/libraries from this site created to the destination site.

I hope this will surely help you out. Try it and do let us know.

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

• Marked as answer by StBernards Tuesday, June 28, 2011 4:25 PM
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, June 28, 2011 7:11 PM Let US know - these are forums NOT private conversations
    Monday, June 27, 2011 11:53 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you - that worked!

Regards

Diane

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 7:27 AM