none
Windows Server 2016 RDS

Question

• Hello all,
    I am working on testing Windows Server 2016 RDS. in previous environment I usually use the Remote Desktop Services Profiles tab. to create a separate profile. But when I connect to my 2016 RDS environment these settings seem to be ignored. and the settings on the profile tab are picked up. As a result, after the user logs out of the RDS environment and then also logout of the client session (lapop / desktop). All settings are lost For example  pinned icons on the taskbar. Does anyone have any idea why this is happing? is that by design? I tried to troubleshoot it but I can’t find any leads
    Tuesday, December 20, 2016 10:01 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I suggest you enable User Profile Disk which stores user and application data on a single virtual disk that is dedicated to one user’s profile.

Advantages provided by UPD are:

• Configuration and deployment is simpler than roaming profiles or folder redirection.
    • Logon and logoff times are reduced.
    • Previously, profiles could be corrupted if used simultaneously on multiple computers. User profile disks are specific to the collection, so they can’t be used on multiple computers simultaneously.
    • Administrators can have granular control of exactly which locations get saved to the virtual hard disk (VHDX).
    • User profile disks can be stored on Server Message Block (SMB) shares, cluster      shared volumes, SANs, or local storage.

Here is a related blog below for you:

Easier User Data Management with User Profile Disks in Windows Server 2012

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/enterprisemobility/2012/11/13/easier-user-data-management-with-user-profile-disks-in-windows-server-2012/

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 9:30 AM

All replies

• Never done it that way.

We have a semi-test environment going and we use profile disk on the collector. That way they users get separat profiles. It also solves some issues when you have more then 1 RDS Server.

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 1:25 PM
  • Hi,

I suggest you enable User Profile Disk which stores user and application data on a single virtual disk that is dedicated to one user’s profile.

Advantages provided by UPD are:

• Configuration and deployment is simpler than roaming profiles or folder redirection.
    • Logon and logoff times are reduced.
    • Previously, profiles could be corrupted if used simultaneously on multiple computers. User profile disks are specific to the collection, so they can’t be used on multiple computers simultaneously.
    • Administrators can have granular control of exactly which locations get saved to the virtual hard disk (VHDX).
    • User profile disks can be stored on Server Message Block (SMB) shares, cluster      shared volumes, SANs, or local storage.

Here is a related blog below for you:

Easier User Data Management with User Profile Disks in Windows Server 2012

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/enterprisemobility/2012/11/13/easier-user-data-management-with-user-profile-disks-in-windows-server-2012/

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 9:30 AM
  • thx for the reply , I will go that way.
    Wednesday, January 04, 2017 11:56 AM