Network Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Home network with two computers, both running XP Home edition.  Both computers hooked (wired) to a single router.  A network external drive also on the network.  In the past everything has worked just fine.  Both computers were able to share files.  Computer A could print through shared printers on computer B.

Current condition.  Computer A cannot access file or print sharing on computer B.  Computer B can access Computer A just as always.  Computer A cannot ping computer B, but B can ping A.  Both computers have no problem asccessing the network drive.  Both computers have the same workgroup name.  I have tried running the network setup wizzard several times, making sure the workgroup name is set properly, but with no success.  The message I receive is:  "Workgroup is not accessible.  You might not have permissions to use this network resource.  Contact admin....  Network path not found. 

The problem may have started after an update to McAfee virus software.  I have tried turning off firewalls (both windows and McAfee) on computer A, and even uninstalled McAfee, but still can't get computer A to see B.

Any help on where to look would sure be appreciated.

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 10:38 PM

All replies

• try any of the options below

1-check the add/remove programmes in contorl panel... there might be another firewall or antiviruse installed...

2-turn off windows firewall

3-try booting in safemode with network connection and check if you have the ping

Saturday, July 7, 2012 9:16 AM