External USB HDD shared folder settings disappear on reboot RRS feed

• Question

• I have a PC running Windows 7 Ultimate and a 2TB Buffalo external HDD where I keep all my personal media.

Under XP, I shared the entire disk and all of its subfolders on the network and accessed my pics and movies via my Apple TV.

Under Win 7, that is no longer the case. Upon reboot, any previous shared settings are gone. If I want to access my media from the Apple TV, I have to recreate the share and all is well... until the next reboot.

My NAS drive has no trouble at all. It's only my Buffalo DAS drive and Windows 7 that seem to be having this issue. The Buffalo DAS drive has its own power source and is always on. So, I don't think it's the drive.

Any experts out there who can help?

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 2:55 AM

Answers

• The share is recorded here: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\LanmanServer\Shares. It will survive a reboot but you may need to wait for a minute or two after connecting the flash disk until the share becomes visible.
    • Edited by Frederik Long Wednesday, February 12, 2014 7:00 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Frederik Long Thursday, February 13, 2014 10:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by DAfshar Thursday, March 13, 2014 12:05 PM
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 6:59 AM
  • Thanks for the follow.

I deleted ALL shares from the registry and reshared.

Everything seems to be working now. Not sure why.

• Marked as answer by Roger Lu Monday, March 3, 2014 10:49 AM
    Tuesday, February 25, 2014 1:16 AM

All replies

• The share is recorded here: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\LanmanServer\Shares. It will survive a reboot but you may need to wait for a minute or two after connecting the flash disk until the share becomes visible.
    • Edited by Frederik Long Wednesday, February 12, 2014 7:00 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Frederik Long Thursday, February 13, 2014 10:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by DAfshar Thursday, March 13, 2014 12:05 PM
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 6:59 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. 

Regrettably, the shares ARE reflected in the registry as you noted but are not showing up despite how much time passes. 

Do you think deleting the shares from the registry, rebooting and resharing the folders would work?

Monday, February 17, 2014 1:38 PM
  • Hi,

How's everything going?

Does this registry trick work? We’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members.

Regards

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 12:56 AM
  • Thanks for the follow.

I deleted ALL shares from the registry and reshared.

Everything seems to be working now. Not sure why.

• Marked as answer by Roger Lu Monday, March 3, 2014 10:49 AM
    Tuesday, February 25, 2014 1:16 AM