Interaction between locally installed Firefox and virtualized Firefox RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I've just virtualized an old version of Firefox to support a legacy application. It's working fine by itself, but I noticed a strange behaviour on client who have another version of Firefox locally installed.
    For instance, on my laptop I have Firefox 3.5 locally installed and the virtualized Firefox 2. I start Firefox 3.5 and leave it open, then I click on the shortcut of Firefox 2 published via App-V and instead of opening Firefox 2, it opens another windows of Firefox 3.5.
    The same thing is true if I first open the virtualized Firefox 2: if I try to open the locally installed Firefox 3.5, another window of Firefox 2 opens instead.

Is there anything I can do to have the option to open an instance of the locally installed Firefox 3.5 side by side with an instance of virtualized Firefox 2?

TIA,
    Enrico

Friday, November 20, 2009 9:55 AM

Answers

• I suppose the issue comes from Firefox that checks if there is a process "firefox" already running - and if so, the newly started applications simply "hooks" into the exisitng process.
    In App-V there is no switch to control this.
    But, Firefox seems to know a "-no-remote" commandline switch, that _might_ be helpful. (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Opening_a_new_instance_of_Firefox_with_another_profile)

However, this only seems to work if another profile is specified...

Falko
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 12:36 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Disable DDE...

/Znack
    Friday, November 20, 2009 10:07 AM
  • Thanks for the quick answer! :)
    I've searched around the forum and the web for DDE but I did not find anithing clear related to App-V.
    I found a post about setting this parameter in OSD:

<POLICIES> 
        <LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED>FALSE</LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED> 
    </POLICIES>

But that didn't resolve the issue. Could you please point me to a web page about disabling DDE for virtualized apps?

Thanks,
    Enrico

Friday, November 20, 2009 11:18 AM
  • I suppose the issue comes from Firefox that checks if there is a process "firefox" already running - and if so, the newly started applications simply "hooks" into the exisitng process.
    In App-V there is no switch to control this.
    But, Firefox seems to know a "-no-remote" commandline switch, that _might_ be helpful. (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Opening_a_new_instance_of_Firefox_with_another_profile)

However, this only seems to work if another profile is specified...

Falko
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 12:36 PM
  • Thanks, the "-no-remote" switch in OSD parameters did the trick! :)
    Friday, November 27, 2009 11:49 AM