control count same application in app-v 5 RRS feed

• Question

• How can i control count of running same applications?Forexample if i have only 2 licenses of MS Project, How can I prevent running more than 2 copies msproject at the same time?

Monday, June 17, 2013 1:09 PM

Answers

• App-V does not have a true out of the box license control mechanism. In previous versions there was a  License menu in the console but this wasn't very powerful and didn't offer much more control than the use of AD groups already gave you. With App-V 5.0 you can deploy to AD Groups with users or AD Groups with machines, depending on how you configure your clients (Global vs User).

The best means to ensure compliance is to audit the AD Groups used for assigning the application. Alternatively there's also tools such as AppLocker which Microsoft had previously suggested as a solution to use with App-V. AppLocker is a component of Windows OS's since Vista and later. You can enable and control using Group Policy.

However, There's alternative and a few different options based on the different deployment methods? E.g. SCCM 2007, SCCM 2012, App-V Management Server or By deploying Standalone using the MSI. Hopefully that's an answer to get you started!

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Monday, June 17, 2013 3:03 PM
  • When it comes to Office applications, you should be aware that unless you are licensing Office through Office 365, those Office suites and applications are licensed per-device. Trying to control applications such as Project or Visio in a concurrent manner will put you in breach of the licensing agreement. You should avoid this in case you are ever audited for your Microsoft licensing.

More here: http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/briefs/volume-licensing.aspx

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Monday, June 17, 2013 5:34 PM

All replies

• App-V does not have a true out of the box license control mechanism. In previous versions there was a  License menu in the console but this wasn't very powerful and didn't offer much more control than the use of AD groups already gave you. With App-V 5.0 you can deploy to AD Groups with users or AD Groups with machines, depending on how you configure your clients (Global vs User).

The best means to ensure compliance is to audit the AD Groups used for assigning the application. Alternatively there's also tools such as AppLocker which Microsoft had previously suggested as a solution to use with App-V. AppLocker is a component of Windows OS's since Vista and later. You can enable and control using Group Policy.

However, There's alternative and a few different options based on the different deployment methods? E.g. SCCM 2007, SCCM 2012, App-V Management Server or By deploying Standalone using the MSI. Hopefully that's an answer to get you started!

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Monday, June 17, 2013 3:03 PM
  • When it comes to Office applications, you should be aware that unless you are licensing Office through Office 365, those Office suites and applications are licensed per-device. Trying to control applications such as Project or Visio in a concurrent manner will put you in breach of the licensing agreement. You should avoid this in case you are ever audited for your Microsoft licensing.

More here: http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/briefs/volume-licensing.aspx

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Monday, June 17, 2013 5:34 PM
  • Thank you
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 8:44 AM