Outlook Trying to contact Exchange Server RRS feed

• Question

• My users in two of three regional offices connected via the same type of VPN began experiencing suddenly, towards the end of August, strange Outlook behavior.  When they would click on an email or try to compose one, their Outlook would pop up a message saying "Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the Exchange Server". After 30 seconds or so, connection would be made and they could work normally.

They are all in Cached Mode. No changes in the network hardware or configuration were made. Throughput on the VPN's have been normal. One of my offices is not experiencing this issue. There are slightly different network setups in each of the 3 offices, but as I said earlier, prior to the onset of this issue, and since, there has been no noticeable problem with general network connectivity. Each of the offices have different Internet providers. This is happening with Outlook 2016

I have tried numerous solutions, some of which had no effect, some made it worse, some actually seemed to solve the issue, but then it returned. Here is a list of solutions I've tried:

1. Turn off Cached Mode - This seemed to make things worse.
    2. Delete and recreate .ost file - This seemed to temporarily fix the issue, but within a week it returned
    3. Stop the Automatic Download of Images through Trust Center settings - No Effect
    4. Rebooted the VPN router on both sides

I'm at a bit of a standstill with it. Since it's two offices, with 2 people in one office and 5 in the other, I have a hard time believing it's Outlook issues. That's why I haven't proceeded with the Office Repair or the profile deletion/recreation. And with no general network dysfunction, I'm running out of things to try. The fact that the other office has no problems at all says it's not a general network issue. And when their Outlook connects, everything works fine. But then it crops up after a long period of disuse of Outlook.

How can I best diagnose this? What other things can I try?

Thursday, November 14, 2019 2:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In this situation, please try exiting Outlook desktop client and see if the issue can be reproduced on the web mail.

Then please make sure you have the latest Outlook updates installed and you have a good network environment. Besides, it is also suggested to temporarily turn off your antivirus software and switch Off the Windows Firewall to check if the issue will be gone.

>> Delete and recreate .ost file - This seemed to temporarily fix the issue, but within a week it returned

It seems that there may be somthing to do with the OST file. And according to my research, if the users have a large mailbox, they may have this problem. So it is suggested to delete the OST file and set the new OST file to download fewer messages via File > Account Settings > Double click your account > set the OST file to download emails for the past less than a month and see if there is any difference. If this works, then you may need to reduce the size of their mailboxes.

If the issue continues, then you may need to try creating and using a new Outlook profile via Control Panel > Mail > Show profile or repairing your Offcie installation.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 15, 2019 2:31 AM
  • Hi,

Have you got the issue fixed?

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 18, 2019 9:12 AM
  • Hi,

Here I will provide a brief summary of this post for your information. This will make answer searching in the forum easier!

Request/Expectation:

Outlook would pop up a message saying "Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the Exchange Server".

Solution Summary:

In this situation, please try exiting Outlook desktop client and see if the issue can be reproduced on the web mail.

Then please make sure you have the latest Outlook updates installed and you have a good network environment. Besides, it is also suggested to temporarily turn off your antivirus software and switch Off the Windows Firewall to check if the issue will be gone.

>> Delete and recreate .ost file - This seemed to temporarily fix the issue, but within a week it returned

It seems that there may be somthing to do with the OST file. And according to my research, if the users have a large mailbox, they may have this problem. So it is suggested to delete the OST file and set the new OST file to download fewer messages via File > Account Settings > Double click your account > set the OST file to download emails for the past less than a month and see if there is any difference. If this works, then you may need to reduce the size of their mailboxes.

If the issue continues, then you may need to try creating and using a new Outlook profile via Control Panel > Mail > Show profile or repairing your Offcie installation.

Reference Links:

No.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 8:57 AM
  • Hi,

Since its only a few users impacted, another factor could be the number of items in the user's mailbox/folders.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2768656/outlook-performance-issues-when-there-are-too-many-items-or-folders-in

• Having more than 100,000 items in a user created folder
    • More than 500 folders
    • More than 5,000 calendar items.
    • Its also suggested to keep the count of items below 20,000 for critical default folders like Inbox, Sent Items

If this is the case for you, you can ask the user to create a sub folder and move emails to the new folders.

Thanks

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 1:36 PM