none
windows 7 wont boot after hard disk change

Question

• I registered my windows 7 starter asus netbook for windows 10 upgrade, and then cloned the 250GB slow 5400rpm hard disk to a 240GB SSD ( about 80GB was left on the C drive, nothing on the D drive, and the 80 MB and 10 MB partitions I thought were the dual boot linux partitions-but they werent, that is actually on the motherboard!). So the new SSD contains a single 220 GB window 7 partition which paragon assigned the letter H, and the two tiny partitions are there I suspect the 80MB partition might be the ASUS repair partition. When I put this disk in and tried to boot it refused. It did boot into the splash screen (a very limited Linux OS thast just web browses, skypes and looks at photos) then I was able to use the windows repair disk I made and it corrected the boot error and when I logged in I got the black screen with mouse cursor. I was able tyo use ctrl alt del to start the task amanger and start explorer.exe. That allowed me to boot to a "temporoary"profile which it said would disappear when I logged off. a few programs worked but control panel office etc didnt. I could only start google earth, adobe reader and a couple of other things. A little message in the corner said "this copy of windows is not genuine". I am hopeing not to do a complete reinstall, is there a way to get it to boot eg by changing the drive letter from H to C? if I boot into the windows repair copnsole and command prompt wil that let me use eg diskpart to change the drive letter? I suppose I can do a full resore with the windows disk I made, or reinstall everything with a windows 7 starter disc I made then reinstall all the programs, but I would like to see If I can get the cloned disk working. BTW Sandisk recommended EZgig to clone the drive ( a separate download, not from Sandisks site), but this program didnt recognioze it. I used Paragon instead.

pidasms

Thursday, August 27, 2015 9:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, changing drive letter is not the culprit of this problem. It should be caused by cloning system from HDD to SSD. Some file missing and the problem appears. For example, temporary user profile problem, have you redirect its location to other drive? If not, its profile data might be corrupt.

To fix your problem, please make system repair again for test. You can also try to use SFC /scannow for test to fix system components for test.

For system activation, you need to activate it manually again.

If you need any further assistance, please feel free let us know.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, August 30, 2015 11:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, changing drive letter is not the culprit of this problem. It should be caused by cloning system from HDD to SSD. Some file missing and the problem appears. For example, temporary user profile problem, have you redirect its location to other drive? If not, its profile data might be corrupt.

To fix your problem, please make system repair again for test. You can also try to use SFC /scannow for test to fix system components for test.

For system activation, you need to activate it manually again.

If you need any further assistance, please feel free let us know.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, August 30, 2015 11:41 PM
  • I gave up and did a clean install, then copied my files from windows.old to my documents on the new install, and it works fine, windows activated. lots of updates, had to go through windows update 3 times, finally got the windows 10 icon, waited a day and installed that works fine and fast. made a recovery drive on 8GB USB stick and a system image on 250GB external hard drive. windows 10 on an SSD has rejuvenated the old netbook, useful as a travel device for planes and airports(and following my general theme, because it looks old, not attractive or sale-able to thieves!). It seems a 5400rpm hard drive is the choke point making old devices slow, 2GB DDR3 RAM and 1.66 hyperthreaded atom processor  matches some new windows tablets. I really like my surface pro 3, and use it for travel in Australia but for international travel the clam shell netbook is great in airports and on lap in all sorts of devices. Only problem with the surface pro 3-its not very stable on a lap! The detatcheable keyboard design on many new devices is not lap friendly!

pidasms

Wednesday, September 09, 2015 10:35 PM