none
Complete Through Percentage extends beyond Status Date push RRS feed

• Question

• I am updating my project as of status date 12/31/18.  However, the Complete Through gantt bar extends and displays past that date.  Why is this happening? Shouldn't the bar only extend up to the status date?
    Wednesday, January 9, 2019 3:23 PM

All replies

• KyGirlDolly,

In practically all cases, "Complete Through" is intended to graphically indicate the (duration) %Complete of the task.

1. For non-summary tasks, a "Complete Through" to the right of the Status Date is the result of an updating process that does not conform to best practices - i.e. where all completed work is to the left of the Status Date and all incomplete work is to the right of it.  Project does not enforce any particular updating process, and it's easy for users to violate best practices just using %Complete updates.  (Marking the task "on-track" automatically sets the %Complete to align with the Status Date.  Some of the advanced scheduling options will also automatically move complete/incomplete work on either side of the Status Date, though you have to be careful with them.)  
    2. For summary tasks, the "Complete Through" reflects the summary's "%Complete," which is the duration-weighted average of its subtasks' percent completes.  This "progress" number is essentially arbitrary and is completely unrelated to the Status Date, so even a properly-updated schedule will have summary-task progress bars that do not align with the Status Date.  Consequently, Progress bars on summary tasks are more confusing than they are helpful.

Good luck, tom

Wednesday, January 9, 2019 4:32 PM
  • KyGirlDolly,

Not necessarily. The Complete Through parameter is based on duration percent complete, not on the status date, so the Gantt bar could potentially show before, on or after the status date.

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, January 9, 2019 4:36 PM
  • Thank you.
    Wednesday, January 9, 2019 5:16 PM