Upgrading content databases from 2007 to 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

So I'm doing the database attach upgrade method, which involves building a new SharePoint 2010 environment on new servers and then migrating the content databases over to the new SQL server and attaching the databases to the new farm.  I've followed all steps in the Microsoft guides (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263026.aspx).  I'm at the point where I'm ready to attach the databases to the new farm.  As the guide recommends, I used the Test-SPContentDatabase cmdlet to see if there was anything missing from the farm that is required by the content.  Here's the error it's spitting out:

PS C:\> Test-SPContentDatabase -Name SharePoint_WSSContent -WebApplication https://url

Category        : MissingSetupFile
    Error           : True
    UpgradeBlocking : False
    Message         : File [Features\ExcelServerSite\Microsoft.Office.Excel.WebUI.dwp] is referenced [3] times in the database [SharePoint_WSSContent], but is not installed on the current farm.  Please install any feature/solution which contains this file.
    Remedy          : One or more setup files are referenced in the database [SharePoint_WSSContent], but are not installed on the current farm. Please install any feature or solution which contains these files.

Based on this error message, I would guess Excel Services isn't provisioned on the new farm.  It is however.  It's also running according to Central Admin.  I also browsed to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\FEATURES\ExcelServerSite to see if the file it's looking for is present.  It isn't.  Does anyone know why this would be?

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 2:45 PM

Answers

• There was an issue with this Web part and the Test-SPContentDatabase command. You should be able to ignore it and upgrade will work. However, check to see if the Web Part was used in custom solution package, and if so, that the feature is still activated on the site before you upgrade.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 6:00 PM

All replies

• There was an issue with this Web part and the Test-SPContentDatabase command. You should be able to ignore it and upgrade will work. However, check to see if the Web Part was used in custom solution package, and if so, that the feature is still activated on the site before you upgrade.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 6:00 PM
  • Thanks for the advice.  I'll try attaching the database and see what happens.  I know our portal site doesn't use it, which is the content DB I'm trying to attach right now.  Other sites do use the web part however.  Any ideas what I do about that?
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 3:50 PM
  • Hello, 

I have the exactly same problem with missing [Features\ExcelServerSite\Microsoft.Office.Excel.WebUI.dwp].

Did you find a solution?

How do I install this missing file?

Thanks, Trond

Friday, July 30, 2010 8:16 PM
  • I had this issue also - in my instance I had copied a site from a dev moss install that had Enterprise features installed to a production site that didn't have enterprise enabled.  We didn't have any webparts actually using that feature, but test-spcontetdatabase reported references to it.

I was able to find what sites referenced the missing file by doing this query against the appropriate content database:

select

top * from AllDocs where LeafName like '%webui.dwp'

Then, look at the DIRNAME column - it told me url of the web part gallery where it was referenced. I then went there, deleted the webpart (it wasn't being used anyway), went to the recycle bin and deleted it from there (and from the 2nd stage recycle bin)

That resolved my  issue.

• Proposed as answer by Ruben Alonso Wednesday, May 25, 2011 4:28 PM
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 10:17 PM
  • In Features\ExcelServerSite\feature.xml there is file mapping specified that points Microsoft.Office.Excel.WebUI.dwp file location to Features\ExcelServerWebPart\Microsoft.Office.Excel.WebUI.dwp.

I guess, Test-SPContentDatabase is not handling file mapping correctly, however the file itself should be accessible from the site Web Part Gallery.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 9:47 AM
  • I ran Test-SPContentDatabase and got the missing [Features\ExcelServerSite\Microsoft.Office.Excel.WebUI.dwp]. I went ahead and ran Mount-SPContentDatabase on the database anyway. After that I ran Test-SPContentDatabase on the database again and the error was gone. 
    Monday, March 21, 2011 5:36 PM
  • In Features\ExcelServerSite\feature.xml there is file mapping specified that points Microsoft.Office.Excel.WebUI.dwp file location to Features\ExcelServerWebPart\Microsoft.Office.Excel.WebUI.dwp.

I guess, Test-SPContentDatabase is not handling file mapping correctly, however the file itself should be accessible from the site Web Part Gallery.

I mentioned this issue to MS support as well and the rep I spoke with said it's a known issue.  It can be ignored.  As PawnofGod points out, after mounting the database the error goes away.
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 5:41 PM
  • Very much old post, but let me try :)

I have similar issue. In our SP2010 server, whenever I try to create a Site Collection, I am getting below error;

Failed to load receiver assembly "Microsoft.Office.Excel.Server, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c" for feature "ExcelServerSite" (ID: 3cb475e7-4e87-45eb-a1f3-db96ad7cf313).:

We have Two web apps for which MOSS 2007 DBs are successfully Upgraded and attached. But any new Site Collection creation either on these web apps or on a newly created Web app gives the above error. If i select "Blank Site" as template site collection gets created.

Please help me why my SP2010 machine is looking for Microsoft.Office.Excel.Server, Version=12.0.0.0 whereas Version=14.0.0.0 is already present in Assembly and Features folder.

Naveed.DG SharePoint Administrator "Vote As Helpful" If it helps!!

Friday, July 13, 2012 12:16 PM