WSUS Administration console for Server 2012R2 RRS feed

• Question

• hey folks

we are using WSUS on a Server2012R2 installation in our company. all is working fine.

when we install patches, everyone would like to access to the administration-console to check the server-status.

with our old wsus-server (3.2 on a server 2003-OS) we had easily installed the administration console only on our management-Server (server 2008R2). everyone had access and was happy...

can anyone tell me the "right" way, to install the wsus 2012r2 administration-console only on a server 2008R2? i did not found any technet-solutions on this. the only workaround i found, was to install the old 3.2 administration-console and then connect to our new wsus-server... seems to work. but this should be also possible with the new administration-UI based on wsus2012r2?

Monday, July 7, 2014 1:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

as most managment gui's, this is part of RSAT (Remote server administration tools)

On windows 2012 features\remote serrver administration tools\role admnistration tools\Windows server Update services Tools. Note rsat for windows 2012 cannot be installed on windows 7 or earlier.

This is one of the reasons why you, in my opinion, should make sure to have a management server for each os you are administering.

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP

• Edited by SenneVL Monday, July 7, 2014 2:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sandro D'Incà Monday, July 7, 2014 2:29 PM
    Monday, July 7, 2014 2:07 PM
  • I would say that managing WSUS on a 2012 server from 2008 is not ideal.  Why use old tools to manage new technology if you don't have to? You are better off using the console on another server 2012 or windows 8 machine.  
    Monday, July 7, 2014 2:19 PM
  • hi folks

thank you for your replies! i'm agree with you, our solution ist not ideal. i'm looking forward to migrate our management-server from 2008r2 to 2012r2 :) (sooner or later)

meanwhile we are looking for some workarounds...

post will be closed

Monday, July 7, 2014 2:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

as most managment gui's, this is part of RSAT (Remote server administration tools)

On windows 2012 features\remote serrver administration tools\role admnistration tools\Windows server Update services Tools. Note rsat for windows 2012 cannot be installed on windows 7 or earlier.

This is one of the reasons why you, in my opinion, should make sure to have a management server for each os you are administering.

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP

• Edited by SenneVL Monday, July 7, 2014 2:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sandro D'Incà Monday, July 7, 2014 2:29 PM
    Monday, July 7, 2014 2:07 PM
  • I would say that managing WSUS on a 2012 server from 2008 is not ideal.  Why use old tools to manage new technology if you don't have to? You are better off using the console on another server 2012 or windows 8 machine.  
    Monday, July 7, 2014 2:19 PM
  • hi folks

thank you for your replies! i'm agree with you, our solution ist not ideal. i'm looking forward to migrate our management-server from 2008r2 to 2012r2 :) (sooner or later)

meanwhile we are looking for some workarounds...

post will be closed

Monday, July 7, 2014 2:29 PM