MIGRATING A WINDOWS SERVER 2008 VM TO AZURE RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

For the past couple of days I have been battling to install the Azure site recovery service on my windows server 2008 as part of migrating my infra to Azure, but all my efforts were in vain. I know that VM migration to azure is supported only from Server 2008R2 and above, but I would like to know whether  there are any possible workarounds? Any help or suggestion would be deeply appreciated.       

INFRA

VM OS : Windows Server 2008 SP2.                                                                                                                               Hyper-visor : Hyper-V 

• Changed type Anand Sarath Thursday, May 31, 2018 6:47 AM getting no replies
    Thursday, May 24, 2018 5:56 AM

All replies

• You won't be able to achieve this using ASR since the OS is not supported. A workaround is to prepare the VM and manually upload the VHD creating a new VM in Azure from that VHD. There is a number of tutorials out there describing this process. Technically it works, however, I would not do that since the VM will be in an unsupported state.

Cheers,

Doug

Premier Field Engineer - Microsoft

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 4:57 AM
  • Hi Doug,

Thanks for your reply, this what I planned on doing want sure since the OS is no longer supported in Azure. 

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 6:41 AM