none
Remote Web Access Folder Permissions

Question

• I recently migrated my home server from WHS2011 to Server 2016 Essentials.  I have 1 administrator and 4 standard users.  Each standard users has a corresponding access folder within the ServerFolders directory.  When adding the users via the Dashboard, I assigned each user Read/Write access to their corresponding folder, each with a unique logon and password. I then tested each users access capability via  Remote Web Access.  I used the standard users logon and password which enabled me to access the server.  The issue is, each standard user has access to ALL the folders on the server.  I found this true for all the standard users, and of course the administrator, when I logged on as such.  To summarize, each standard user, via settings in the USERS section of the Dashboard, is only allowed Read/Write access to their specific folder, under SHARED FOLDERS tab and only allowed access to SHARED FOLDERS under the ANYWHERE ACCESS tab.  I do not have the ability to restrict access to certain folders on my server.  What can I do to fix this?
    Saturday, April 20, 2019 2:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Ken,

Please further check the folder permission other two places listed as below:

1.Could you please go to the Storage Tab and check the specific shared folder for each user?

• In the <ServerFolder> Tasks pane, click View folder properties.
    • In <FolderName> Properties, click Sharing, user account with permission was supposed to show up.

2.Could you please go to file explore in server machine and then navigate to shared folder to find the specific folder with permission.

Then right click properties to check if the assigned permission matched what you've done on Dashboard.

Hope this helps and have a nice day.

Thanks,

Jenny

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 22, 2019 7:26 AM
  • Hi Jenny,

Thanks for the information.  I had the configuration in the Dashboard settings correct.  The problem was in the file folder permissions within File Explorer.  I would love to check my results but I am now getting an error that Ports 80 and 443 are blocked.  I know they are not because my ISP does not block them, my router is configured properly and CanYouSeeMe.org sees them fine.  I had no problem last week accessing Anywhere Access.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ken

• Edited by Ken Bensman Tuesday, April 23, 2019 3:18 AM
    Monday, April 22, 2019 8:03 PM
  • Hi Ken,

1. Please use netstat command to check the status of  port.
    2. Follow the instructions to Find out what's blocking port 80 / 443 on Windows

Could you please help to clarify when you got this error? Is it occurred when opening remote web access? Kindly check the port setting on IIS to see if anything abnormal.

Thanks and looking forward to your update.

Best Regards,

Jenny

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 5:10 AM
  • Jenny,

IIS binding reveals HTTP on port 80 and https on port 443.  I ran netstat and the only anomaly was my Serviio media server listening on 443.  I went into Task Manager and ended the process.  A netstat check revealed Serviio no longer listening.  I tried an Anywhere Access repair and received the same message, incoming ports 80 and 443 blocked.  I even disabled the router firewall, just to see if the ports opened.  No luck!  The netstat function reveled many Windows related functions operating, many svchost, system, dashboard, media streaming, Isass and dns.  I am very frustrated at this point considering nothing has changed since last week when Anywhere Access was running fine.

Ken

Jenny,

I have to add, I saved my WHS2011 OS hard drive.  I installed it into my server and booted it up.  I was able to log on to the WHS2011 remote web access, so this confirms there is nothing wrong with my router or internet access.  The problem lies inside Server 2016 Essentials.  Any thoughts?

Ken

• Edited by Ken Bensman Thursday, April 25, 2019 2:48 PM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2019 1:50 PM
  • Hi,

If possible, please check “Windows Server 2012 Essentials: Router Setup” for detail steps about router configuration on WSE network to allow necessary ports:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/14153.windows-server-2012-essentials-router-setup.aspx

Besides, on WSE, if possible, please re-start system in Clean Boot, with all 3rd party process disabled, including anti-virus and windows firewall. Then, try to Anywhere Access repair wizard and check the result. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

• Marked as answer by Ken Bensman Friday, April 26, 2019 1:02 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Ken Bensman Friday, April 26, 2019 1:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ken Bensman Friday, April 26, 2019 1:02 PM
    Friday, April 26, 2019 4:52 AM