USB storage device working on only one port RRS feed

• Question

• I have a unit in my possession with Vista Business.  One particular brand of flash drive does not work on this model.  It is detected in 3 of the ports, but only works in 4th one.

This particular brand works on all the other units under a different family name, but give the same problem on the 5 of the same model.

We did a search in the Computer Management Log and a warning message was found: device might be corrupt - the anti virus was then activated and tried to scan the device, but could not access it.  This is the same flash drive that was used earlier without any problems in the 4th port.

Any advice would be welcome as I don't have the know how and need to sort this.  Strange thing is, we have tested 3 other brand name flash drives and all of them worked on all the ports.

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 12:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As 3 other brand name flash drives worked on all USB ports on the computer. The problem should not be a Windows Vista problem and it should be a compatibility problem with USB port and the particular brand of flash drive. I suggest you contact hardware manufacturer to check the problem. Thank you for your understanding.

Hope it helps.

Thursday, December 4, 2008 6:46 AM
  • Morning

That particular flash drive works on 1 of the 4 USB ports on that unit and on all the other machines of the same brand.  We did check the registration and we checked the Computer Management Log - nothing out of the ordenary.  We had deleted the whole log, rebooted and reloaded the system about 4 times and the device is still only working in the one USB.  It is picked up in the others, asked for it to be installed, then dissapears...

We have escalated the query to the unit's manafacturer and this is the first call of the sort logged.  Their technical team is investigating, but there is definitely nothing worng with the unit and nothing wrong with the flash drive, so it has to be something else.

Monday, December 8, 2008 6:36 AM