none
Manual or Automatic failover? RRS feed

• Question

• For SQL Server (2005/2008/R2) cluster, after failover happened from one node to another, how do I tell whether it was an automatic failover or somebody failed it over manually. This would help further troubleshoot what caused the failover. Please consider both Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008 scenario. Thanks.
    Monday, August 25, 2014 3:02 AM

Answers

All replies

• Cluster log would help. There are separate functions called during automatic and manual failover. Read more about cluster logs here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc961673.aspx

Balmukund Lakhani
    Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other users find a solution quicker
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog | Team Blog | @Twitter | Facebook
    Author: SQL Server 2012 AlwaysOn - Paperback, Kindle

Monday, August 25, 2014 4:21 AM
  • Thanks for your reply. I checked the link but didn't find the info regarding automatic or manual failover. Can you elaborate which functions should I look for automatic failover, which functions should I look for for manual failover in cluster log? Thanks. 
    Tuesday, August 26, 2014 1:09 AM
  • Hi yarkandstar,

Based on your description, you can check the SQL Server Error logs to find if it is an automatic failover or a manual failover in  SQL Server cluster. In the Error logs, if SQL Server restart multiple times in the same node and then come online in the other node, it should ideally be an automatic failover. If SQL Server is running on a different node after the first restart, it is a manual failover.

Also, as Balmukund’s post, you can check the cluster log  to know whether SQL Server has an automatic failover or a manual failover.

For more details about checking cluster log in Windows server 2003 cluster, please review this blog: How to find whether SQL Server had an Automatic Failover or a Manually initiated Failover in cluster.

For more details about checking cluster log in Windows server 2008 cluster, please review this similar thread: Need to know if it was a manual or an automatic failover - WIndows server 2008 R2.

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 3:45 AM
  • Hi yarkandstar,

I’m writing to follow up with you on this post. Was the problem resolved after performing our action plan steps? If you are satisfied with our solution, I’d like to mark this issue as "Answered". Please also feel free to unmark the issue, with any new findings or concerns you may have.

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

Thursday, September 4, 2014 11:10 AM