none
Connecting Project Server 2010 to SharePoint Online (Office 365) RRS feed

• Question

• Since SharePoint Online (Office 365) does not provide the exact funtionality as SharePoint 2010 Enterprise CAL, is it feasible to install an in-house Project Server 2010 (on SharePoint 2010) and have it connect to SharePoint 2010 online for project sites, etc.  1) is it feasible to make that connection and 2) do you lose any functionality? Any issues to be concerned with?

Friday, November 5, 2010 5:30 PM

Answers

All replies

• So far the only announced functionality of Project Server - Office 365 interaction is the ability to synch to sharepoint lists. There is no indication that it can be used for the project sites or other elements of PWA.

If you are only using the Sharepoint features (no project center, timesheets, status updates, risk and issues lists ...) then certainly the sharepoint part can be anywhere that you can hyperlink to. But it won't be integrated with any of the actions performed on Project Server (managing resource lists, updating projects etc.)

Jack Dahlgren blogs at:
    Project and Retrovention
    and rarely Twitter
    Friday, November 5, 2010 6:54 PM
  • It really depends what you mean by "have it connect to SharePoint 2010 online"? By definition you cannot have the project workspace from an on-premise PS instance be created in another farm in the cloud, but you could potentially surface data again not sure about the exact needs. See this post I wrote that might help as well: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/chrisfie/archive/2010/07/02/project-server-2010-and-sharepoint-2010-one-farm-or-multiple.aspx
    Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Friday, November 5, 2010 8:45 PM
  • Christophe / Jack,

Thank you for the responses, they have been very useful.

If I may ask for a bit more clarification. We are in a situation in which we currently use BPOS for SharePoint 2007.  We do not have EPM up at the moment but would like to find a way to make our EPM 2010 implementation work with our SharePoint online. If we installed SharePoint 2010 on premise with Project Server 2010 and then created a hyperlink from PWA to our SharePoint online for the purposes of content management, that should work right?  I realize that it would mean that our users would be connecting to two different farms (and may require licenses for both). But could they connect to the on-premise to do their updates to the project and surface data for dashboards etc., then with hyperlink go to SharePoint online for project deliverables.

I read somewhere that Microsoft does plan at some point to provide hosting services for Project Server.  Any comments on when? 

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 4:16 PM